Political Street Art

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Remember these posters?
You would had to have been off the planet to have missed them, right?

I was driving by one the other day and I thought about how amazing it would be to have designed such iconic posters for such a monumental time in history. Regardless of your political leaning, you have to respect the art for art's sake. These posters will be in the history books of our children and their children's children while they read about the first African American president in history.

Think about it. If you are a graphic artist I can not think of a more surreal experience than having a gazillion people wearing your art on their t-shirts, stuck on cars, mounted on brick walls all across the country throughout the whole campaign, having the streets of the downtown Loop business district of Chicago lined with your images the day after the election, and having your graphics carry the message that so many people find hope, progress, and passionately celebrate. An artists dream come true, no?! I would argue that this poster will be one of the most recognized, representative artistic posters of our time.

I think if it were me that designed these bad-A posters I would still be on a high. But alas, it wasn't me. It was this guy. Of course his name is Shepard. Why would it be anything different? His life of street art seems amazing. Here is a really interesting interview with him about the posters and his art related to politics.

0 Comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP