My Bleeding Heart
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Today, I had the great opportunity to go to the Snohomish County Building to show our support in the one-tenth of 1% sales tax legislation. This would generate an estimated $11 million to mental health and chemical dependency organizations and programs in the county. Being that I intern at one of the few treatment centers in this county, you can image how important it was that we - the whole staff and all the residents - were there to support the passage of the tax.
There were many moments when I felt so proud of our community. There were over 200 people there in support and many of the public testimonies were powerful regarding how mental health illnesses and drug programs have personally affected individuals and families. I am happy to say that it PASSED! I am thankful to live in a community where "the people" care so much about their people.
One of the officers that was testifying in support stated a beautiful quote that gave me the chills (you know how words do this to me) and I have been thinking about it all day.
treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children;
those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly;
and those who are in the shadows of life,
the sick, the needy and the handicapped."
- Vice President, Hubert H. Humphrey
Seattle Times did a wonderful piece on Evergreen Manor in the Local Section today. Check it out. Thank you my fellow bleeding heart Jenny for the tip at Bunco tonight. I thought it was so thoughtful that you listen enough to realize it was my treatment center you were reading about. That speaks volumes to me about your character.


7 Comments:
That quote is beautiful! It is great your community is standing behind its people and especially incredible the support of this population. So often the "drug community" gets tossed aside due to misconceptions and perceptions.
Whoa whoa whoa...is it true there is another blog floating about out there privately with You, Brianne and Stacie? I clicked on Stacie's name and there it was. If this is a true thing and not just a friend thing between you guys I want in to read...I want to know every detail :)
Congratulations on the bill getting passed! I'm so proud of what you do, Aimee. Oh, and how amazing is it that your treatment facility has the #1 recovery rate in the state. That is something to be proud of.
YEAH for money for mental health programs. Now if Utah would just stop cutting money from the substance abuse programs. Maybe one day. I still remain hopeful. And your news gives me new hope.
I do attribute the recovery rate to you! Really, all of you readers if you could hear all the amazing things her "bosses" say about her. Not only her bosses, but more importantly how the patients/clients ask for Aimee to help them.
Not only that but she makes treats for them every friday, and takes requests on what kind of treat they want.
They all LOVE her. Of course.
And yes Jenny is thoughtful and really listens.
Great Job Aimee.
I love You!
This is why you need to come back to utah we need to get this community in check. How rewarding to be apart of that bill passing!!!!
Aimee
You are sweet!
I am SOOOOO happy it passed!
That quote is amazing, Im putting it in my quotes journal, thanks for that. Have a great Christmas if I dont see you before then.
Post a Comment