The Unexpected Romance

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Well, remember how I sometimes have sentimental posts? So here comes another one. Stop if you hate sentiment....

I warned you.

On New Year Eve, Scott and I were contemplating how we should ring in the new year. In so doing, we realized we don't have a "group" here in Seattle like we do in Salt Lake. We have many dear friends whom we love with our whole hearts (and that will be friends with life) but we do not have that group of friends that are your wonderful default for the all major non-family holidays (like New Year Eve for example). Of course our friends here happily invited us to go with their defaults but we decided it might make us homesick for our own and we would be "that couple" that someone invited into the group. Sometimes being with strangers can make you ache for the comfort of people who know you well. Does that make sense?

So in a bit of a missing-our-comfort mood we made plans to go out just the two of us.

After driving around for awhile, we ended up as the only patrons at a hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant on Roosevelt which, as I think about now, made for a magical moment. We were the only ones in there. Well, just us and the workers who seemed to be family. They seemed so happy to have us. It felt like we were in a movie reflecting about what 2008 meant to us over Thai delightfulness. I swear the Phad See Ew tasted better because it was just us in there - made with extra special love for the only patrons.

Eventually, we found ourselves next door for some stand-up comedy at minimal capacity which is always an interesting experience. Two of the guys were pretty funny but there was one that we just felt so awkward for that you can't help but give him the forced courtesy laugh. Oh, to be a comedian. How scary and exhilarating at the same time.

The jokes and drunk audience members trying to be the comedian ended soon enough for us to head over to Gas Works Park and drive right in to a perfect parking spot where we stood in the rain for only a few minutes until the fireworks rang in the new year. 3...2...1...hugs, kisses...Auld Lang Syne... la, la, la....2009, already? Time; you know what I think about you.

Now for my sentiment and the point of my post (which I have been having a hard time getting around to lately): As we were leaving, I saw a group of girls doing the hold-your-arm-out-and-take-a-picture-of-yourselves-because-you-don't-want-to-ask-anyone-to-take-a-picture-for-you thing and as I often do I asked if they wanted me to take their picture. They were thankful and as I handed them back their camera one of the girls said, "we were just saying how cute the two of you looked down there." Aimee: "Ahh, thanks. You girls look pretty cute yourselves." (Because girlfriends can look cute together too, in my opinion.)

And as we walked away, and I thought about what they said and realized that romantic moments are best when you least expect them or don't even realize in the moment that you are experiencing them until you think back on them later. At the start of the night I was sort of bummed with our lack of official, elaborate, New Year's Eve plans but if I were to watch a tape of our night, it was romantic.

Very romantic.
And simple.
And wonderful.
And authentic.
And unexpected.
And not forced at all.
And just us.
At our best with each other.

And if I were those girls looking down at us standing there on the edge of the water, I too would think we were pretty cute.

So romance. And relationships. What does it all mean? Lately, I have been enjoying the idea that sometimes romance is best experienced when you are not looking for it or planning it out. The flowers, romantic gestures and get-a-ways are wonderful of course, on appropriate occasion, but they do not do it for me like holding Scott's hand in the pouring rain as we walked back to our car, after a unexpected great night, on the brink of the new year, realizing that I had made the best choice of my life by marrying him. Golden.

I know it is a little late in coming but I hope you all have a great 2009.


Random Updates:
1) My computer is fixed - all is not lost in the world.
2) I could've kissed the Apple genius guy today which is as sure sign of the unmanageability of my addiction.
3) The cell phone issue is on the way to being resolved. I might actually answer when you call me. Thank you Eagan-Heffernan's.
4) Today is my 2nd to last first-day of a new quarter. Yahoo!
5) I'm giving 29 a big, fat hug today. Happy Birthday to me. I freaking LOVE my twenties.

21 Comments:

janae said...

First and foremost Happy Birthday to my kindred spirit. Sunday dinner's are not the same without you, please come home soon:) I hope you have a great, great day!! What a great post, it sounds like your New Years Eve was magical:)

Brooke and Matt: said...

Happy Birthday Aimee! I love reading your blog, you are such a great writer. You and Scott are very cute together. We miss you guys! We are thinking about road tripping it up there this summer.

annie janke said...

Have a Happy and Glorious Birthday,Aimee! Love, Annie

Lacey Jane said...

I LOVED this post! What a sweet story...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you! Hope it's a fabulous day!

Andria said...

Happy Birthday! How lovely that our Birthday's are a few days apart. I love being a Capricorn! Enjoy your day. And I loved your sentimental post!

LAINA said...

Happy Birthday!

I have to say that I love the unexpected romance as well. In fact, it is the only romance that I like. The rest gives me an uneasy feeling. I don't know why. But the unexpected is always the best. I am glad you rang in the new year with originality.

naptime nostalgia said...

Love this post. And so glad you shared it. What a wonderful way to start the new year. Reminded by the universe of what really matters. Life is good at that. Teaching us, when we least expect it.

Happy Birthday Aim!

Erin said...

Awesome post Aimee! You write so well that I feel like I spent NYE with you and Scott. NYE always has so much hype and it just isn't worth getting worked up about. You and Scott are just so darn cute!
Happy Birthday!

Emily said...

We really love you Aimee and appreciate you and Scott's friends ship so much. I'm so glad that you had a good NYE. I hope your Birthday is just as great. Happy Day.

Remember NYE at Scott's parents house. I'd have to say that was the best NYE ever. Even if the girls lost to the boys at pictionary.

Lauren said...

Because you and Scott make me excited for what is to come...thank you. And Happy Happy b day to a woman who has helped shape some of the most important bits my life without knowing it! xo

Unknown said...

I love this. So sweet, and so true.

Megan, Ryan, Addi & Brady said...

You totally summed up love, romance and just being in the moment! Great post and I totally agree with you on that darn 'time' thing! I've never met Scott, but from the sounds of it, you two make a pretty great pair! Happy Birthday too! :)

Anonymous said...

A much-needed post for me... selfishly. Thank you to my oldest friend! Really. A card's on the way. Love you and your 29-year-old self. -Brooke

Sunshine Promises said...

I love you, Aimee White Heffernan! You twenties ARE fabulous but more so are you! You only get better with age.

Hope your day is as wonderful as you are! Loves!

melanie said...

Hi Aimee. Happy Birthday! I need you to tell me all about how 29 goes as you go through it.

Sometimes do you feel ripped off that your golden birthday was when you were 6? I do. I'm on the 4th of May so it's sad to think I was such a little girl on such an awesome birthday.

BTW, do you use the word verification on comments for security sake?

Josh and Betsy said...

Happy Birthday Aimee!! Cheers to your 29th year, thanks for being born. :)

Great photo of you and Scott.

Brittany said...

Well put. Those unexpected romantic moments are much better than the manufactured or planned ones. You two, it sounds like, have a wonderful fun relationship- and thanks for sharing! I love reading your blog, it makes me happy every day!

Bridget said...

Happy Birthday! Happy romancing your husband. Your story is so great.

alisha said...

Happy Birthday, Aimee ... and Happy New Year!

Great post and a great memory. I like to think of the romance that happens from everyday moments as "mature romance" - and I love that it keeps getting better with time (especially since the silly, fun, newlywed romance tends to fade).

And I totally hear you on missing the "group" and being with strangers making you homesick - we're still in that boat. Sad. But, better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all, right?

Best wishes to a great 2009.

Lisa said...

Tears...You and Scott are cute! Andy and I had a pretty low key night as well, but it was beautiful. We went to dinner as well, and there was a moment when I thought we could be at a party around a lot of people, but there is no one I want to have a conversation with more or be around more than him. It was really nice! Thanks for sharing your night.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP