The Way We Were
Monday, January 26, 2009
Last week I took a walk with my dad in my favorite place in the world. A walk that was long overdue. As we were hiking we mentioned briefly a period from our family past and I got an unexpected physical pain of nostalgia thinking about this time in our lives. The pain was in my heart and stomach and at first I couldn't place what it was all about. Why the emotions? Why the pang of sadness? Have you ever felt this kind of nostalgia before? It is almost like the memory comes flooding through your body and it is just too much for one human to contain. This specific feeling happens to me occasionally.
It does not stem from the fact that I am unsatisfied or unhappy in my life now, nor do I long to be back in that life, but it stems from the realization that we never get to go back. We never get to relive those moments again and just be who we were in those times. They are gone - at least in the linear sense of time. We never get to be the family we were in Bear Lake in 1993 when everyone was together and healthy and doing back flips on the Wave Cutter.
It does not stem from the fact that I am unsatisfied or unhappy in my life now, nor do I long to be back in that life, but it stems from the realization that we never get to go back. We never get to relive those moments again and just be who we were in those times. They are gone - at least in the linear sense of time. We never get to be the family we were in Bear Lake in 1993 when everyone was together and healthy and doing back flips on the Wave Cutter.
Time plays tricks on us and goes so quickly
and it just makes me sad sometimes.
That's all.
But the NOW is good too and will bring its own set of nostalgia down the road.
And someday, far in the future, I will demand a HD replay of it all in heaven.
and it just makes me sad sometimes.
That's all.
But the NOW is good too and will bring its own set of nostalgia down the road.
And someday, far in the future, I will demand a HD replay of it all in heaven.



6 Comments:
Love this post.
All of it.
So true. I find myself experiencing nostalgia often it seems, lately for some reason. And mostly I too don't wish to change anything. Just relive. I think the High Def replay is a great idea.
great, great, post Aim.
Well, I'm crying...backflips on the wavecutter...had to be when Lee, Damron and Mark Janke traded places when that huge wave torpedoed them through the air!
That pic is amazing. I do love Bear Lake with the fam and all of the memories. Can't wait to see you soon:)
I LOVE this post.
So well articulated.
HD replay in heaven for sure!
(I'm for sure starring this post in reader)! :)
HD in heaven, for only selective pleasant things, right? I have experienced this feeling many times. I think a lot of it comes from the changing times- we see kids growing up now that won't ever have a childhood like we did. Playing games in the neighborhood outside til our moms had to drag us inside (no video games or computers), no cell phones or internet constantly able to keep tabs on us, and just some good old fashion fun!
for me, nostalgia is always pleasant rather than painful. but I too get sad any time I realize that there is no reliving life.
no more highschool is good on the whole, but I miss the fun times.
I don't look forward to a heavenly TiVo. Maybe that is why I am obsessive about keeping photos and writing in my journal.
GREAT post.
Dan
Post a Comment