Repost: How to Get to Sesame Street…

Tuesday, November 10, 2009


In honor of the 40th Anniversary today, I thought it only appropriate to repost this guest rambling from the one and only, Seasame Street lovin', kid at heart, Scott Heffernan.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SEASAME STREET! 
Thanks for raising us.
: : :


Today's Guest Rambler: Scott Heffernan
Relation to Aimee: Hubby
Notes from Aimee: Love being married to a kid at heart. Enjoy.


Best kids show…ever! Can I get an “amen!”? The show has been going for 38 seasons. 4,160 episodes. It has shown in 180 different countries. And it has won 109 Emmy Awards, more than any other television series. Holy Smokes! Lets be honest, Sesame Street is brilliant.

(For this post I would like to ignore the present state of the show, namely that education and quality entertainment seem to be taking a back seat to marketing—Elmo has lost touch with “the people” and has totally sold out.)

Let us remember the good old days...Who didn’t get down to the Pinball Number Count? Who didn’t love trash along with Oscar? And who didn’t want to visit (but not live on) the moon with Ernie. Aaron Neville’s (pre facial tattoo) duet with Ernie on this one truly touches my heart. And, I’ve got to be honest here, I desperately wanted to join the ladybugs at their picnic.

Sesame Street gets the best guest appearances. From Johnny Cash to Norah Jones, Hilary Clinton to Kofi Annan, Natalie Portman to Conan O’Brien. Even Max Headroom took time out of his busy schedule to make an appearance or two. For a complete list, click here. (One day I will be on that list!)

Here is some Sesame Street Trivia you might not have known:

  • Oscar the Grouch’s fur was orange in the first season. In the second season it was changed to green.
  • The character of Oscar the Grouch was inspired by a nasty waiter that served Jim Henson at a restaurant called Oscar’s Tavern.
  • The Count was born on 9 October 1,830,653 B.C.
  • Sing a Song was originally slated to be the show's opening theme song.
  • Before trying cookies for the first time, Cookie Monster’s name was originally Sid.
  • This song was banned due to some questionable lyrics.
  • Bert and Ernie are not gay. Nor have either of them been killed off. Click here to read more.
Now let these classic clips from America’s most beloved program wash over you. Bask in the fuzzy warmth and comforting memories that come flooding back as you absorb these nostalgic treasures…

How Crayons are Made


We All Sing with the Same Voice (My Name is You)


Madrigal Alphabet


Please comment and share with us some of your favorite Sesame Street moments, songs, characters, and memories. This post has been brought to you by the letters S and H, and the number 8.

-Scott Heffernan
You might want to read the comment thread from the original post. It was pretty funny too.

7 Comments:

Dawn said...

i LOVED the crayon making episode/clip.
I still think about that episode.

LSL said...

I love this post! And I loved the crayon making episode, too. So many great memories. And when I heard it was turning 40, I realized I had no idea that I was one of the early viewers. Ahem.

This is my favorite clip. I love listening to it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGohKgNOXnU

Allison said...

"lets get together with the hands, lets get together with the feet, lets get together with the Hot Dog"

Allison said...

Looks like I have been singing it to my kids wrong. Either way it is still awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K-FpmUUc7U

Erin said...

Story from my mom about my feelings toward a certain celebrity guest appearance onSesame Street...
Apparently, I was not.a.fan of James Taylor and everytime he'd come on SS, I'd run out of the room yelling "that man with the guitar is back on again - change the channel."
Fast forward 15 years...I'm a freshman in college, my mom is randomly flipping through my cd collection and sees James Taylor's Greatest Hits. Confused, Mom says "why do you have this cd? I thought you had a strong dislike for James Taylor."
Me: "I Love James Taylor - what are you talking about?"
She fills me in on my childhood fear of the man with the guitar...
* Disclaimer - I'm a HUGE fan of just about any man that plays the guitar - not sure what my issues were back then...Aimee - maybe you can diagnose this for me sometime...

Anonymous said...

I really really loved this post. I didn't realize how much I must have watched Sesame Street, until all the clips brought back memories with perfect clarity. By the way, is there any way to restore the video "My Name Is You"? It said it has been removed.

Oh,Scrap! said...

I was always worried when snuffaluffagus came on. He (or was it a she?) always seemed to be sad, and I am not really sure if memory is serving me correctly, but was snuffy a figment of big-bird's imagination?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP