Wanna See Something Really Scary?
Friday, October 29, 2010
Tonight Scott and I are watching Twilight Zone: The Movie. Growing up we use to watch this on a regular basis on my Uncle Mark's VHS tape where he had the title written in his distinct capital letter handwriting. Watching the movie is bringing back a flood of good memories.
The opening sequence is one of the best. Albert Brooks has a striking resemblance to my father and when I was little seeing him in this scene totally blew my mind. I swear he looked and acted EXACTLY LIKE MY DAD (but without a mustache).
Exhibit A: The Young Version
Exhibit B: The Not As Young Version
Albert Brooks is definitely my dad's Doppelgänger and he obviously dyes his hair. Personally, I think my dad is more handsome though, don't you?
My favorite segment is the kick the can part. Do you remember this one? The old folks in the retirement home play kick the can and they become young again. It is a great reminder about staying young in your heart and mind even as we grow up. I love it. And it isn't one of the scary ones either. Favorite quote:
"The day we stop playing, is the day we start getting old." - Mr. Bloom
Amen, Mr. Bloom. Amen.
Even though I don't love the process of thinking what to be for Halloween, I must say that I do love the spirit of Halloween. I love the smell and the haunted feeling in the air and the food and the pumpkins and the feeling of being scared and spooky. Scott always says it is the only other holiday besides Christmas that has a spirit to it and I totally agree. The spirit of Halloween has it's own kind of magic.
I hope you all have a spirited Hallow's Eve.




5 Comments:
I love the boy that doesn't change back in that kick the can part. Did you ever watch Amazing Stories? Also fun and a lot like the Twilighlight Zone's of the time.
And He is your dad's doppelganger!!
AND I love that you keep using the word doppelganger. My husband used it in a sentence a month ago and I accosted him for it..so sure it wasn't a word. Now I hear it everywhere. My kids were watching Word Girl last week and even she used the word in an episode. How is it that I have do not recall hearing this wonderful word until now?
Total doppelganger! :-)
I hated the Twilight Zone...I am so easily influenced! It scares me! And it's cute you remember my Dad's rows and rows of VHS tapes with his distinct handwriting.
totally remember mark's twilight zone VHS, and loved it!
Yes, dad's doppelganger for sure.
Dad, is much more handsome.
Fun.
I loved that movie :) Even seeing the title of your post in my reader freaked me out!
Post a Comment