The iPod-Connectivity Theory
Monday, May 21, 2007
So recently I've reconnected with my second generation iPod. For a while there I would plug it into my computer and after about 10 minutes it was just shut off and it was too much trouble trying to add new songs so we had a trail separation. But the other day I saw it sitting there calling me to love it again. So I gave it a little update with new music and we've really fell in love again.
As I was driving with the windows down, the wind blowing through my hair, and the iPod playing DJ I starting thinking about our beginnings. The first time I was exposed to the iPod revolution was in the Fall of 2003. I was a few months off the mission, living in Washington DC and my friend and I took a train ride up to the only "city" in the world, New York City. On the train ride home, I was sitting next to a little boy whose brother let him use his iPod for his train ride. The boy was very excited to show me what his toy was and let me try it out for a bit. It was love at first sight. Everything slowed down as I scrolled through all the artist waiting patiently for me to pick them. The white little machine with its orange lights shined beautifully as we passed through the towns on that dark October night. I knew I had to have one of my very own.
That Thanksgiving my Christmas present came early. I went to the Apple store and purchased my very own 20 GB Second Generation iPod! There was nothing better than getting off work on E Street, hopping on the Metro and putting in my white earphones for my commute home.
The iPod has been the soundtrack supplier for many car rides in Kara's jeep, makeouts, parties at the Hermosa house, rides on the subway and late nights in the car driving home from a night out. Which leads me to my theory...
The iPod-Connectivity Theory
There has been countless, thats right, countless time where I am driving in the car or hanging out at home or whatever and the iPod is on shuffle and playing the exact songs I need to hear. Don't worry, I have examples.
In the spring of 2004 I was driving home on Wasatch Blvd and in a bit of a melancholy mood and low and behold the iPod was playing what I call "Night Song" at random! These were songs that only enhanced and made the melancholy feel even deeper - which are the kinds of songs you want to hear when you are sad for some weird reason. The iPod knew exactly what I needed to hear. My little 20 gigger knew me, ya know.
For the forth Harry Potter movie (60 days and counting til the last book), I was going with the cousins for the midnight showing. The whole day I was looking forward to seeing the movie. On my lunch break guess what song came on the iPod? You got it right. The Harry Potter theme song. I had over 4000 songs on my iPod. How did it know how happy it would make me to hear the HP theme song? Well... because it knows my heart.
And it happened again! Just the other day, Scott was telling me about a moment he had with the Arcade Fire song Haiti (a great one! - check it out if you don't know the song) and I was like, "put it on" and he went to find it in my iPod and it was the next song that came on while he was scrolling to find Arcade Fire in my artists.
These are just a few examples. I have more but will spare you. I think you get the idea and/or have had similar experiences with your iPod so you know exactly what I am talking about. Please feel free to share any experience that may be like these above in your comments.
Is it a random act of nature? A coincidence, you ask? No, my blog readers it is not. It is the iPod-Connectivity Theory. I suggest that when you own an iPod somehow the hard drive connects with the internal music hard drive of our souls. It knows what you need to hear when you need to hear it. It isn't a constant thing but there are moments of connection that go beyond any explanation I can provide you.
So the point of my story today is that I have been reminded recently and I am so thankful that the days of CD cases hiding under your car seat, jogging with you CD players skipping on every bumpy movement, or having a collection of plastic CD holders following me from home to home are OVER!
Thank you Steve Jobs. I heart you and your little brilliant music playing machines (even if they don't have a color screen or play videos).


5 Comments:
i feel so proud that i was in attendance when you purchased your first ipod. i remember VERY WELL your testimony of ipods and on behalf of all ipod freaks everywhere, i want to thank you for this post!
katie
Wow. What a theory. One that I wish rang true for me... but, it hasn't... yet. I'm hoping it will though, soon!
I loved that you even had examples to back up this theory... I'm convinced.
Aim...I want to believe and so I will exercise a particle of faith and try and help it to grow. I too want an I pod to connect to my soul!
Aimee,
Wow!! I can't tell if I am a believer or if it's the way you told the story that has me hooked.
Its both brianne. Because it is true.
Post a Comment