Six Feet Under, April 23 - June 1 2007
Sunday, June 3, 2007

So on Friday night, before Bunko, Scott and I finished the last episode of the last season of Six Feet Under. We are free from the hostage situation we created for ourselves.
So here's my final review.
Spoiler notice - if you are planning on watching this series I wouldn't keep reading. That means you Lisa Hadley.... come back and read this blog once you are done.
Ruth, Nate, David & Claire. The Fishers. As a collective bunch I have to say that I love the Fishers. What an interesting family and I think I really am going to miss them (which is so weird because, yeah, their not real, I know!) but they were a part of my life every night for about a month and a half and now they are just dead to me (ironic being that they run a funeral home). What can I say, I get attached! Glad to be free but sorta sad too thats its all over and done with.
So I loved the first 2 seasons and then it just got really dark - I don't mind dark (we all have a dark side, right dad?) but it was like the writers wouldn't let me get totally attached to one character because they would always do something that would really disappoint me. I don't know, maybe it was just too much reality for me. I mean people out in the world can't truly deal with their relationships in those ways, right?
But my favorite part I loved about the whole series was how creative they were with the deaths. I couldn't wait to see how they were going to direct the death at the beginning of each show. They really put some interesting twists to the deaths through out the whole series. Since I hope to someday focus on grief and loss this was right up my alley.
The last season had some shockers mostly with who-know-who dying but by the time the extremely depressing 2nd to last episode approached I couldn't figure out how they were going to wrap this up in a nice little bow for me which I felt like I deserved being that I put so much time and commitment to watching all 5 seasons ..... until..... the last 6 minutes which completely pleased me....
If you are NOT going to be watching the series and you have a few minutes, please click this link to view the final scenes which is probably one of the most brilliant endings to a series I've ever seen (it won't mean as much to you as it does to us since we are so attached but even though you aren't attached it is still amazing). The best part about it is that they show that everyone dies - which is one of the themes of the whole series. I think the hardest part about ending a series is just that. It ends. And you sit there thinking what in the world all the characters must be doing now.
But they did it (and I doubted!). The brilliant HBO writers give you closure, wrap it up in a beautifully filmed and directed piece of television history and give it just the perfect touch with an amazing song to go with that brilliance. It made me feel like our lives are so epic.
To view their complete obituaries click here.
Thank you HBO for being a network that like me, pushes the envelope at times.
PS. And thank you for Sex and the City too but thats for a whole other blog.


1 Comments:
Ok, remember how I told you I couldn't get past the darkness of the first season and you told me that it really was great and to hang in there? Well, I took your advice and have netflicked the whole shabang. I'll hang in there. I definitely didn't hate it, but I did have some hard times with it. I'll try to do better this time.
Post a Comment