Aimee's Movie Reviews

Friday, July 6, 2007

1408
John Cusack. I could stop there but I won't. How can you not love John especially when he is carrying the movie himself? We'll try and pretend he didn't make Must Love Dogs but nearly every movie this guys does it just reconfirms to me what a talented actor he is and how I wish we could be friends. He really does a great job.

In regards to the movie itself, I do like horror movies but only the kind that are real, supernatural scary kind of movies. I hated The Ring because it was a real-scary until the person crawls through the TV. Sorry filmmakers, I don't believe that someone is really going to crawl out of my TV and you can't try and mix genres. Either do cheesy-scary (which I just choose not to watch because they are pretty lame) or real-scary and stick with it. Anyway, 1408 was a real-scary kind of movie. Although I didn't love the last two scenes (the script was a bit weak trying to wrap it all up), I really enjoyed the time I spent watching this movie and would recommend that it would be a fun one to see in the theaters. Plus, it sort of gave me the freak outs later that night just thinking about it which is always what a good real-scary movie should do!

Final Vote: Go see it for John Cusack in all his rambling brilliance. 3 out of 4.

*
Transformers
I know nothing about Transformers. I was playing with My Little Pony not Transformers. But I have to say that I was surprised with how entertained I was while watching this movie on Tuesday night. I'm not a huge action movie girl and I usually end up thinking about how many more minutes I have until the action movie ends but I didn't really feel this way in Transformers. There were a couple of parts where I had no idea what was going on in the action. Who was fighting who? What the sequence of the fighting was? etc but overall it was pretty good for an action movie. Plus, the dark headed girl was really hot.

Final Vote: Surprisingly I laughed out loud in many parts. Good for an action movie. 2.5 out of 4.

*
Once
This was a Sundance movie and I saw a preview for when I went to see The Waitress. It takes place in Ireland and is just a brilliant slice-of-life kind of movie. No big Movie Magic Moments but it had so many Magic Moments. If you are into these kinds of movies I would highly, highly suggest seeing it. If Transformers are more your style I wouldn't suggest it. It is a story about a musician trying to cut a record. One of the best parts about this movie was that they wouldn't cut off the songs. They played the whole song! I can't remember a movie that gives me the whole song! I really enjoyed hearing the music. And since seeing it I have purchased the whole soundtrack and have had it playing the past 2 days.

Another aspect of the movie that I really appreciated was the ending. I'm not going to spoil anything here but my initial feeling has changed once I really thought about how it ended. For those who have seen it you will understand. Its a real movie and I really love that kind of authenticity in movies.

Final Vote: Fell in love. 4 out of 4.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

As you are aware, the John Cusack is my NUMERO UNO so pretty much he can do no wrong... although what the crap was "Must Love Dogs?" Sheesh, that was a rough one. Phil said he was disturbed by 1408, but he really liked it. Yep, pretty sure I haven't seen a movie in the theater since my mom dragged me to see "Music and Lyrics" several months ago and I wanted to pull every hair one by one out of my scalp. I want those two hours of my life back!! Anyhoo, I heart movies!! This is coming from a gal who used to see about a movie a week. C'est la vie.

camihubrich said...

Once sounds really good and I have heard that transformers was a nice surprise. I won't be seeing 1408, John or not. Not a cell in my body likes to be scared. I also wanted to mention that I just finished The Glass Castle off your recommend awhile back. The ongoing phrase in my brain, "are you kidding me." Can you even imagine living in that world? Only took me a day and a half to cruise through. Thanks for the tip.

Kristin said...

Great info Aim. I have actually been curious about all 4 (the mention of the Waitress) and now want to go see all 4. John CuHOT is sooo good in High Fidelity, you know the one that gives you the break down on how to make a good mix tape? I will go see 1408, not with Cammer (she's serious about not liking being scared), and all the other movies you have reviewed.

Kristin said...

I was just looking at the John CuHOT fan site and he really has been in some great movies...who can overlook his 80's era. Say Anything, 16 candles, Better Off Dead...? Unbelievable.
http://www.geocities.com/movie_starzz/john.htm

Lacey Jane said...

Thanks for the reviews! Not sure if I'll get out to see 1408 or Transformers... but, at least I know they have some hope!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP