Family Ties that Bind

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

So tonight I am in a thoughtful/thankful mood. It is my grandpa Marv's 84th birthday (well at least it will be for 22 more minutes) and we went to the temple tonight to take out his endowment. (For my non-Mormon friends, its a significant ritual we do in the Mormon religion in our temples. I'm not going to get into the whole details of it all but just know it is a big deal in Mormonism for everyone to do this ritual). He died last January, and being that he had never done it while he was alive, tonight, on his birthday, we were able to do this ritual for him. It was a wonderful way to celebrate his birthday and his life.

Being there with some significant family members that I love dearly got me thinking about our family ties. Here we are sent to earth and land in a family. This family greatly effects who we become. For better or for worse, we are who raises us. (Can you hear the generations of sociologist coming out? Another point for nurture.). Of course we come with our own personalities traits but I feel that nurture dominates nature - most of the time.

We are our family.

So tonight, contemplating my family ties, I was very grateful for the nurturing that has gone on in my life. I have a damn great family, immediate and extended. No questions about it.

Happy Birthday, Grandpa Marv.

This is one of my favorite picture from my grandpa's funeral. I am above average SPOILED with wonderful men in my life and these are some of the top 6 ones right here.


The sealing of my grandma and grandpa and then the sealing of my mom, aunt annie and uncle mark to Betty and Marv happens when my parents come down in August!

3 Comments:

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

That is so neat you guys did that!
Hey do you know how to get rid of the little scredriver and wrench (edit button) that is is on my page? Janae told me she wasn't sure and to ask you.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Congrats to grandpa Marv and the whole of the White Clan. Your family truly is a delight. Hope everything's great. I'm not ready to say goodbye to you guys yet!

Anonymous said...

Seeing a picture of those guys gave me the chills!! They definately are an amazing group and I feel lucky to have them in my life as well. Last night was really cool. Family is definately important and this is a great one!!!!!! I agree with you 100% I am lucky to be a part of it. Love ya tons and tons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP