Dear Non-Profit: An Open Letter
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Dear Non-Profit World,
Hi, it's me Aimee White, now Heffernan. Do you remember me? I use to love being in your life and then I became a traitor and worked for a corporation that talked about sales goals, bottom lines and how to make more and more and more money. It was depressing to me and it seemed like our clients were always angry and unhappy with their rich, privileged lives. When they would yell at me about things that were out of my control and be condescending and rude and impolite I would often want to ask them if they realized there were starving people in the world or remind them that on the grand scheme of things their complaining was insignificant and petty.
But all these experiences brought me here today and I wanted to write you a letter and ask you to forgive me as I am now back in your life and am reminded once again why I love being in this world. I love working towards the greater good of society. I enjoy waking up and going to work because I feel like I am doing something important to someone else's life.
Although there is a time and place for all things corporate, I just wanted to say.... I'M BACK! And it feels great, damn it.
repentantly your loyal servant,
Aimee White Heffernan


9 Comments:
I love this post, Aimee. Hurray for non-profits! (And by the way, your internship sounds awesome - keep us updated).
Beautiful! Clever!
I'm sure the non-profit world is thrilled!
Aim, I love it. great post. You seem so happy in your life right now. I miss you. -stacie
It's good to have you back!!! we missed you! xoxox marni
Aimee --
Holy crap! Cicely and I were just talking about you because we were looking at one of the art pieces she and dave bought from your husband a couple of years ago. (or a yr ago?)
Anyway, LOVE your blog... can you help make mine pretty? it's a disaster and I don;t even know how to do it!!!
You look great. Hope you guys are well. I'm going to have to link to your to keep your address handy -- is that cool?
suite
The non-profit world is lucky to have such a great person working for them, such as yourself. It's refreshing to hear such a down-to-earth point of view.
Don't give up your passion for Apple though. I still think of you almost every time I turn on my ipod because you were the first one that I knew that had one and you loved it SOO much!
Ashley
Aimee,
We forgive you. Friends at first are friends at last.
Welcome back,
Non-profits.
Aimee,
I loved this post. I may not be on the exact same page in the non-profit world, but I appreciate their existance. But I feel as though I understand that corporation... :) Ken
Post a Comment