Living the Dream

Monday, January 7, 2008


Today's Guest Rambler
: David White aka D., Uncle D, Dave
Relationship to Aimee: Youngest sibling and only blood-related brother
Future Occupation: Plans to invent something brilliant, become a billionaire, invest his money, and retire under the age of 30.
Note from Aimee: I've been hopeful to get a guest blog from D and on the last late night of his vacation he delivered! Thanks D.

***
The other week some of my roommates and I were eating at our schools cafeteria and playing a game called “Would You Rather”. For those of you who don’t know of this game it consists of a person thinking of different possible scenarios that would be challenging for the rest of the group to decide between. For example, the questions range from hard ones like “Would you rather make out Jessica Alba or Scarlett Johansson?” (Gotta go with Scarlett on that one) to extremely hard ones like “Would you rather make out with Rosie O’Donnell or Whoopi Goldberg?” (Unfortunately Whoopi takes the crown on that one…Rosie disgusts me). No more then ten minutes after playing this game the topic turned to which president we were going to be voting for in the upcoming election and why their issues were pertaining to us. No, your eyes are not deceiving you. In a manner of ten minutes the group went from talking about making out with Rosie O’Donnell to politics. You have just witnessed a paraphrased version of a typical college conversation.

For those of you who don’t know me my name is David White, I am Aimee’s little brother, and I am living, walking, proof that the college years are truly THE BEST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE.

I realize that most of you reading this blog are friends of Aimee’s and most likely over the age of 26. I also realize that some of you will refute the above claim citing reasons such as, “I am a few years out of college, have a great family of my own, and feel that I am living the best years of my life” and “I have a stable job doing what I love while making tons of money at the same time.” While there is absolutely nothing wrong with these claims and hope to be fulfilling all of those goals in the near future, I’m going to give you some reasons why I feel my life is just a little bit better right now.

1. The People: I am currently enrolled at a school called Western Washington University where the current total enrollment is over 13,000. 13,000 people!!! All of which live within about a ten-mile radius of each other. There are all different types of shapes, sizes, colors, and personalities of people. If you cannot find someone to hang out with out of a crowd of 13,000 people then your name is Jack The Ripper Junior, and your days consist of playing the video game World of Warcraft and your nights consist of sitting in your parent’s basement alone and in the dark eating endless bowls of frosted flakes, listening to Pink Floyd’s The Wall and devising a plan to blow up the world, then coming to the conclusion that in order for that plan to succeed you would have to leave the house which, would be impossible for you because that would mean interacting with people. Lets just skip the details say that there is a little someone for everyone at college.

2. The Living: As of right now I am currently living in a very large house with 5 of my very good friends, two big screen HD TVs, and a pool table. In my humble opinion housing doesn’t get much better for a 20 year old. I am a sophomore, which means that I did go through fun nightmare that they call the dorms, but the dorms is where you meet most of your friends and I feel that the reward at the end of the big and dark dorm tunnel is a big house with a pool table and your own bathroom. (On a side note: I feel that sophomore year of college is the best year of college as well. Freshmen year you are just getting acclimated and everything is just one big giant mess, and when I see a senior at a party being thrown by sophomores it kinda creeps me out, I guess you could make a good case for Junior year as well but I'm a sophomore so that’s what I like right now.)

3. Convenience: I live in a mostly college town everything that I every need is only a five minute drive away. Fast food? Take your pick of anything thing you can think of? Pizza? We have about 5 different joints all with different styles of deliciousness. Nice restaurants? There is a restaurant that sits on a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean, now if that isn’t romantic then I just don’t what the hell is. Everything you will ever need all with in a five minute drive. And if you want to come home for some family time and maybe catch a Seattle Supersonics Basketball game downtown then its only a short hour and 15 minute drive back south.

4. Members of the Opposite Sex: All I have to say on this subject is that in a school of 13,000 people about 7,000 of them are female. I’ll be generous and say that about 70 percent of those females are single women. 7,000 females and 5,000 males…you do the math.

5. Learning: In my opinion the very best thing about college is learning. You can learn anything about every thing that you could ever imagine all at times that appeal to you. (I for instance am a night owl so I take classes at 11 am so I get good nights sleep). I was looking at the classes you could take at western and if I were to type all of those down it would be about twice as long as this blog post which, as I look now, is getting pretty damn long.

In conclusion I would like to acknowledge that I do realize that, in time, the party will get old and I will want to move on to bigger and better things like a steady job and a good family. But right now it feels like things are going pretty dang good, so hopefully after reading this post you will sit back, relax, and play a dirty game of “Would You Rather” and remember the good ole days of college, courtesy of your old (or new) pal Dave.

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Aims, pass on the hearty love to the Davester. He's all grown up and we are old. College years definitely were great times.
Most of mine consisted of chats in the Cougareat (rhymes with Marriott) watching members of the medieval club clad in period attire chase each other around with swords. Either that or a lot of croquet and trivial pursuit... or getting locked out of my house by a roommate who would suck on a pacifier... or getting death threats from another schizophrenic roommate who spoke to herself in sign language... or trying to figure out how some people genuinely think riding a unicycle is ok... or doing a lot of smooching... yep, good times, indeed.

Lacey Jane said...

Ha! What a great post... I gotta admit, my college years were truly fabulous... thanks for helping me reminisce!

Shannon said...

D, great post, even though my college years were "not my best years" -- as we've talked about -- I still loved the post!

Shannon said...

ps you are such a good writer!

naptime nostalgia said...

Aim,
Don't know your brother from Adam, but I enjoy his humor and outlook on life. Oh, and I agree with the whole Rosie, Whoopie thing. Good choice Dave.

Aimee said...

Dave, wish you would tell us more about the ladies of the opposite sex you are hanging with. We would love to meet them! :)

Thanks for the fun post. You are way funny and I hope you guest blog more often. Like Shan said, you are a really good writer.

Bridget said...

Hi Dave, I met you once at your house over a Schwan's pink ice cream cone. I was the one totally amazed at your cereal cupboard. Whose family has 13 opened boxes of cereal anyway? You were a hoot then and still are.

I enjoyed your post. I, too, went to Western where I met your sister. However, I was one of the 2000 extra girls who didn't hook up with any of the 5000 guys on campus. Maybe you could ask an extra girl or two out just to make up for the disparity of numbers.

Anonymous said...

This is David's dad,Lee! Since I am FUNDING Dave's college experience, I am very pleased that he seems to be having a good time in college. But I am especially pleased that he passed on writing about all the 'misunderstandings' he has had with law enforcement agents in Bellingham. We don't believe any of the reports or find credibility in any of the late night calls we have received from school administrators pleading with us to take him away. This is ANOTHER David White. Not my boy!
And Dave, .25 alcohol content IS legally drunk in any state. But I believe you when you tell me all you did was smell it in the roommates bedroom.
Remember who you are and what you stand for!

Anonymous said...

David--
I loved your post. You are getting to be a better writer. College becomes you. Keep up the good work. Press on!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP