My Disorder: Pop Culture Bulemia
Friday, January 4, 2008
I can't decide if this is good or bad news but my Us Weekly magazine subscription has expired as of December 31st. I got a year subscription on eBay last year for about $18 which was significantly cheaper than the $3.99 shelf price that screamed my name - "Aimee, Aimee, read me!" - in the check-out line at the grocery store. Somehow that little tabloid found its way across the scanner and into my bag with my fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs, Sweet's Brand cinnamon bears ... all the absolute necessities of life, right?
So I admit, I am a sucker for pop culture and I can't put my finger on exactly why. I don't even know these people yet I enjoy reading about their life in over 100 pages of details. Weekly. I completely despise the extreme paparazzi craziness that is inflicted on the stars yet here I am supporting the problem by subscribing to the source that is the spawn of satan (I do realize that some of the stars thrive on this so they are not included in my sympathy of course). I am an enabler to something I completely despise! How can I reconcile this within myself and stay true to my moral belief system?! How can I be a good, honorable citizen of the world but still love reading tabloid magazines? (I am not being factious here, I truly ask myself these questions while flipping through the pages.)
So here is a typical Friday for me (or was):
Drive home from wherever I have been in the day
Check the mail
See a popster staring me in the face on the cover of Us Weekly - hello, friend
A grin appears on my face: there is my reward for a hard working week
"What's the new drama of the week?" I ask myself
Drop my stuff I brought in from the car
Find a comfortable position on the king chair in the living room (it is my favorite place for reading)
Slowly open the first page...
Digest most every word in the entire magazine (I'm not just a picture looker, my friends - I read the words too. Sigh.)
And here's the kicker....
30-40 minutes later I throw the magazine down as I finish the last page where they show famous people all wearing the same trends like purses or hats or furry boots, and feel like I need to emotionally puke because I have binged on empty pop culture calories and my soul hurts out of lack of nutritious learning.
My Pop Culture Fascination Conclusions
Is the the lack of depth that makes me nauseous or the fact that I actually spent near an hour reading the useless information? Either way a conclusion that I have come up with is that I was born a sociologist/observationalist and getting to have that kind of microscope on a person's life slightly... ok really....intrigues me, even though I know I wasn't invited in by them personally (the non-invitation is the source of the guilt for me). Or maybe reading about their lives makes me feel better about my own? They may be unbelievably gorgeous and swimming in money but they've got their own set of problems too. Or possibly do I just need something light and trivial to take my mind off my own personal day-to-day crap? I don't really know the answer to this question. Maybe it is all of the above.
So, I was going to pose the question to you all as to whether or not you think I should renew my subscription but I think I have answered my own question by writing this post. It's not that I don't enjoy it, I mostly do, but when it comes down to it I just can't bring myself to renew it again. There will always be RRS feeds on People.com that don't make me want to throw up in the same way.
Needless to say, as a reward to a really hard week it may find its way - every once in a special while - across the scanner and into my bag at the grocery store.


11 Comments:
I loved reading your blog about your obsession with the entertainment industry. I, myself, am the same way with the fitness/health industry. If I see a magazine that has pointers on "super foods", new weight-training workouts, healthy menus and - the worst - "Biggest Loser" stories and tips, I'm in trouble! I just have to remember, moderation in all things!
Loved. This. Post. I too have suffered from this. About 3 years ago I also sucummed to the US weekly subscription monster. Loved it when it came, read it in a good sitting on the pooper, and then, felt the empty shame associated with feeling the need to read that crap. Needless to say, I ended my subscription, and I have survived. Plus I think I might be a tad smarter now. Wait no. Just not stupider? Ha. But I think I might invent a rag mag rehab. Or maybe just a detox. It was hard getting over that stuff. One day at a time Aimee. But the freedom from filth you will feel, will be worth it. Good luck with your detox.
I wish I could keep up with the wit and delight that is your blog! My blog is so lame... I'm thinking of resigning. Anyhoo, you know I love the trash mags, but I make it a rule that I only purchase them either a)if I'm going to be on a plane or 2)if I'm going to be at Lake Powell. That way I feel a little bit better that I'm not CONSTANTLY reading about all those raging psychos of the Hollywood machine ALL the time and just at those special moments when I have time to really ponder about how nutty it truly is to read so deeply into someone else's "life." I must say, my favorite is the "Stars, they're just like us" pages. Did you know they talk on the phone, push their own grocery cart, talk, and breath just like the rest of us? Fascinating.
Well, I for one am not ready to stop the addiction. I know it's bad, I agree with everything you said, but I love it. I just can't take that pressure right now - I NEED it. I might need an intervention. So, if you ever need a "fix", just let me know and I'll save my back issues for you... I will be your dealer. :)
aimee, you are so funny. this was a really great post.
YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING.
Good post, Aim. I whole-heartedly support the decision to not renew the subscription. Not only is it a waste of time and money, the whole tabloid industry is offensive and disgusting. However...I have to admit that I will secretly miss my own infrequent, yet poignant Us Weekly binges.
I love this post. I love to go to mom's on the weekend to read them...although lately I haven't sat down with them? Maybe I'm just above that trash now :) older and wiser!
Ha ha ha. I love it. I suppose if you only allow yourself 3 US Weekly magazines this year, you'll be $2 ahead of where you were in 2007...and hopefully the substitute reward for a great week will be more worthwhile.
Every so often when I get together with my childhood friends we have slumber parties and we read the magazines, take the quizzes, do our nails and even find something in the sex advice. This only happens every year or two or more now that we all have kids and live in 4 different states. BUT it does take us back to our adolescence and we can be carefree again. Like you said, we're not as messed up as some of the people we read about :)
I vote for People. I'll pick up an US every business trip or so but I'm not as regular. We should swap should you find your self with similar Fridays in 2008.
I love your ramblings, just makes me realize how much I miss your presence at monthly Bunko. I hope all is well, and I am for sure making you a bookmark on my blog. I gotta be updated on the latest from the Heff household.
You are so funny! But, stop reading that stuff and read something that feeds your soul. There is only so much time to read and you can spend it reading stuff or you can read the greatest literature in the world.
Post a Comment