"The Third Shift" Struggle

Monday, April 14, 2008

I am going to get a little vulnerable and emotionally raw (and a bit long-winded) as I raise an issue the has been on my mind the last couple of weeks. I am in a gender perspectives class this quarter in my graduate program and we have had some amazing discussions in class that has kept me thinking hours and days after the class is over. These thoughts have led into to heated discussion with my sisters about gender socialization, deeper observations about the equality of men and women, and emotional personal reflection as I think about how I have been effected by gender.

Our assigned readings this past week really moved me and got me all emotional about the girls in the world. We read Reviving Ophelia which a therapist wrote about her experience with adolescent girls. She found that they are confident, young girls with hopes and dreams and then they hit 11-12 years old and trade their true selves for a false self based on what they think other people (particularly boys) want them to be. This usually leads to low self-esteem, destructive behaviors, early sexualization, and higher cases of drug and alcohol abuse. Sad, right? It made me want to give all the 11-12 year old girls a big shot of self-love...and truthfully, myself too. Unfortunately, I saw a bit of myself in these girls even though I know better.

We also read a chapter from Bridging Separate Gender Worlds. If any of you have taken a sociology class or are at all interested in gender role education you have heard the term "The Second Shift" or "The Double Shift" that career women have to deal with once they leave work and come home to do the work of the house. Well, this book addressed "The Third Shift" (as if the 1st and 2nd weren't enough!) talking about the pressure women have to live into beauty expectations that society place on them to feel valued as an individual. Women spend a significantly more amount of time thinking, worrying, daydreaming and fantasizing about clothes, hair, skin, makeup and what have you than men do. Beauty gets a whole new shift for women in this century!

This is where the emotion and vulnerability comes in for me. I was raised by parents that made me believe that I was beautiful inside and out. They raised all of their children based on being an individual rather than being a specific gender. I truly felt that my parents tried to fight against the social/media messages that we are constantly bombarded with and sang songs to me that provided message that I am ok being just who I am. Songs like this that talk about liking what you look like and not buying into having to change to be happy with ourselves. I was spoiled with their love. Because of them, for the most part, I am a happy, well-adjusted person that is confident in who I am...But why do I have moments in my life where I don't believe this about myself? For example, this morning I wake up in a fine mood. Check my email, look at some blogs, do some Taebo, take a shower.... and here is when it starts.... Here are the messages I begin to think:

  • Don't peak at my naked self in the mirror or it will just remind me what my butt truly looks like... why would my husband even want to see me naked? I can't even look at myself.
  • Why must all my pants eventually start to wear where my thighs touch...probably cause my thighs are huge
  • Ahhh I have nothing cute to wear
  • I would kill for long legs. Why are my legs so freaking short?
  • I hate the FUPA (Fatter Upper Pussy Area)! Don't get a peak at that in the mirror either.
  • My hair is starting to get into that awkward not long but not short phase - not cute
  • These pants give me a muffin top I can't wear them
  • What am I going to wear then?
  • Shorts? It is freaking raining outside... ahh why do my pants always wear at the thighs.
  • When will my new pants I ordered online come in the mail?
  • I am already late.... I can't believe I am late because I am pissed about what I am wearing
  • I am so stupid.
  • Why can't I get control?
  • Why would anyone love me? Especially my husband.
  • I hate my life and I hate being me.
  • I bet hot girls never hate their lives and always have cute clothes and never have their jeans wear out in the thigh.
Cry myself a river, right? I was listening to this inner voice the whole ride to school feeling real good about myself at the end of the 40 mintues. You can see how the spiral begins and you can watch it crash and burn in self destruction. I know it just isn't me out there because in our class tonight there were many that expressed feeling this same way. And I have been around women long enough to hear the self-hate talk and I have read lots of blogs where women make self-deprecating comments about themselves and on specific issues around physical appearance. I do not like this aspect about me or my culture. I want it to change but ask myself: How can I be an agent for change in other women when I can't even be an agent of change in myself at times? What kind of mental processing inside will help me start believing that I am worth more than the value society places on beauty? How can I get control of this negative behavior? How do I teach my kids someday that loving themselves completely is the best thing they can do for the world around them? How do I teach myself this?

Needless to say, it was a great conversation in class tonight. Do I have any other ladies out there that know this inner voice? How have you stopped yourself from spinning down the spiral of negative self talk? How do we become or remain happy in the skin we are in?
How do you balance The Third Shift?

pictures via McNeney & Scott

13 Comments:

Sunshine Promises said...

Wow. This is such an important question that I wish I had all the answers to but - as you know from my blog - I don't and I am trying to find a way to infuse strength into my girls so that they can overcome, or at least combat, this disease in our world today.

As shared before, one of my favorite quotes on this subject:

"A mother who radiates self-love and acceptance actually vaccinates her daughter against low self-esteem." (Naomi Wolf)

As you shared from your experience, it really DOES start at home. What a weight and privlege to create that foundation for another human being . . . something they will live with the rest of their lives.

Let me know what you learn in your studies. I need all the help I can get.

Kristin said...

What a great post Aim. This was why I posted what I did about "getting real" because I've had client's and friends express how the blogging world has fed their negative voice and it's a real challenge. Like you I was raised by parents who instilled confident in me but at different times my bubble was pierced when I looked around me. For me, once I got married I had a huge personal identity struggle and for the first time really didn't know who I was. I felt blah and I feel I have slowly been pulling out of that. A part of me wonders if all this access into others lives and world, not just the blogging world, but media, tv, etc causes us to buy into a standard that truly is unobtainable--it puts us into a constant state of a comparative reality. I wrote a talk on the difference between self-esteem and divine-esteem and going through that process help me to sort some of myself out. But honestly, I always thought when you were an adult you would arrive and have all the problems figured out--little did I know I would run into something called "the third shift." Hope you post more about this...I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Andria said...

Thank you for sharing this and posting about it. I deal with this on a daily basis! And I'm struggling with how to deal with it myself. Any pointers you learn from your classes would be beneficial!

Shannon said...

Oh Aimee I loved and hated/was sad at this post...I'm so glad you wrote about this. It stirred up so many emotions. I too get similar self-hate thoughts. how do we stop? And I know some of our young women get these same thoughts too... I want to help them so bad...maybe you should come give a lesson to them on this subject. anyway there is so much to discuss on this subject...
GREAT POST!

Emily said...

Aimee I love the bluntness of your life/blog, and how you just put it all out there. Thank you!

Who knows how to prevent the blues of feeling ugly or too fat but at least it is nice to know that we are not alone!!!

naptime nostalgia said...

Now ya see, this is why I love blogging.

Getting real. It opens up people to who we are. And realizing that we are all much more ALIKE than DIFFERENT.

I think my thoughts on this topic might best be shared in a post all my own. I have a tendency to share novels on comments, and I know that is annoying. So I'll save it for Naptime.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Lindsay said...

You are such an amazing writer. This is something that scares me to death! Image is a scary thing in this world, and I want my kids to know who they are and be so happy to be that! I love the quote the wilkinson fam wrote about vaccinating your daughters. What wonderful motivation to work on my self confidence. Thank you for the post! You are awesome!! (ps..my levis wear in the inner thighs, hate it)

Kara said...

Aimee,
I was thinking about the questions you raised, "How can I be an agent for change in other women when I can't even be an agent of change in myself at times?" And I think that being an agent of change is in your vulnerability. I wonder if by being someone who is vulnerable and admits being affected, hurt, angered, and saddened by the damage of our culture's emphasis on appearance and sexualization, you are being an agent of change. Because our culture doesn't value vulnerability. It doesn't value brokenness, messiness, pain, openness, hurt. It values appearances without depth- pretty packages, plastic smiles, makeup that covers any imperfection. I think it is in admitting your own imperfections, your own struggles, your own pain that is transforming and powerful. You are an agent of change Aimee in that you want to join with other women to fight the culture, not as one who has conquered, but as one is alongside fighting as well. Thank you for writing your thoughts for all to see. They remind me that I am not alone.
I am more whole from knowing you,
Kara

Lisa said...

What an amazing post! What a sister! I've thought about this a lot after our discussion on gender. I don't think I personally know anyone who isn't working over time on the third shift.

Aimee said...

Amanda - thank you for that amazing quote. It does start in the home and I am sure you are doing a fantastic job as a mother of two beautiful girls.

Kris - I loved what you said about comparative reality. I do believe that when we start constantly comparing this gets us to a place of hurt. There is always going to be someone smarter, or better, or more beautiful and lovely. Email me your talk about self-esteem vs divine-esteem. I would love to read it.

Andria - thanks for commenting. I know you have put yourself out there recently too and I think it makes us all stronger to hear about other women's experiences.

Shan - I just love you. I would love to give a lesson.

Emily - Chipman I think?? Thanks for commenting. This may be your first time. I am honored. I sometimes I think I may be too blunt but who am I fooling b/c I feel like whatever I put on my blog I would share with anyone sitting in front of me. I have nothing to hide really.

Amy R - Can't wait to see your post. I love your novels. You can novel anytime in my comments. I am never one bit annoyed.

Lindsay - you are nice to me. If it makes you feel any better I've heard that even skinny-thighed girls have the inner jean wear too.

Kara - your comment made me get all teary. I am so happy you are in my program and you have already taught me so much by opening up with your story. We are all fighting together!

Lisa - Andy asked me if we were still in a fight about the gender issue. I said we were never fighting just discussing. There is never a dull moment when we are all together.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS. I THINK THIS IS AN IMPORTANT TOPIC AND I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU RESPONDING TO MY REVEALING POST. I hope this discussion can continue when I see each of you.

Cicely said...

Amen. You are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You described perfectly my morning routine. If you find the answer to how to make the change in yourself and others, please do share...it's painful to admit how much I get lost in that inner dialogue, even though I too was raised in an extremely gender-balanced environment full of love and acceptance. I mean, what's more loving and accepting than a bunch of hippies on communal land? And yet...that's still my everyday too.

melanie said...

You are brave.

My inner voice says a lot of things. I don't know when I'm listening to it and when I ignore it but I know it's always rambling something.

The biggest thing that has helped me is recognizing that Troy loves me, that he picked me and he'll be with me for 5 million plus years. Because of that I trust him; trust that he loves me for the right reasons and that he will be my advocate. I have to hear him louder than I hear my negative inner voice. I have to believe him rather than my doubting self when I give a bad review of my reflection, wardrobe, blemishes, work balance, and so on. I can't have eternal happiness with my doubt but I can with Troy so I remind myself to leverage him and everything he and I mean to each other.

To not talk about it and avoid it only causes more inner battles that make us feel isolated and weird. We need one another SO bad.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP