I'm Lovin' It

Sunday, June 15, 2008

The other day I ate a McDonald's hamburger with only ketchup. I had not eaten a hamburger with only ketchup from McDonald's in quite awhile. It looked something like this but without the other stuff in it. Just ketchup. (Please note my commentary.)
Although most feel that McDonald's is the whore of the earth and represents all these wrong with corporate America, I asked myself while I was eating my hamburger with only ketchup why it was that it tasted so good to me in that moment. The conclusion I came to is that this hamburger with only ketchup has tasted the same to me when I was a 3 year old looking for my happy meal prize, late nights in junior high when we would walk for miles with a large group of people, when I was studying in Israel, when I was missioning in Japan, and just as I expected it tasted exactly the same when I was eating it last week reflecting on my life history with the McDonald's hamburger with only ketchup.

It doesn't matter the country or the decade, this burger has tasted EXACTLY the same through my whole life. And though I know it is not in my best interest or desire to eat this hamburger with ketchup on a regular basis, sometimes there is just nothing like eating something that you have known and trusted all of your days. It has truly seen me grow up.

In life, we know that the only constant is that things change. Sometimes in food, it it nice to know that some things NEVER change.

Right, Ronald?

13 Comments:

Kristin said...

The other day I was driving past McDonalds and REALLY wanted a hamburger with catsup but you said it ...for the past three years I have felt McDee's was the whole of the earth and the food it's spawn. BUT it sounds so good and you made it sound even better...maybe I need to love it too?

Anonymous said...

I really hate McDonald's, but I bet you if someone forced me to eat one of these, I would feel the exact same way. Many things make me feel like this - like those iced animal cookies - the ones with the pink icing? Horrible, but oh so yummy when they remind me of childhood.

Anonymous said...

Don't you feel dirty?

Shannon said...

In South America I do have to say that the McDonald's hamburgers are more oily. They cook everything with a lot of oil, the employees must like it better that way. It didn't taste exactly the same, but I did only have one while I was there.

Lauren said...

I can proudly say that since the time I was eating happy meals, I have never ordered any other type of burger from Mc Donnald's other than the hambuger with only ketchup. And they are so, so good. :)

camihubrich said...

That's how I had it back in my day too. I will admit though that I thought only my family asked for that because we were picky. I'm feeling so normal right now.

Emily said...

Yes yes yes to the McDonald's plain hamburgers! there is nothing more comforting, but I have to have mine with the amazing processed cheese.

Libbi said...

It is so strange - I have not eaten red meat in over 10 years. However, when I crave it - all I crave is a completely plain McDonald's cheeseburger hands down.

Lindsay said...

I love McDonalds hamburgers with just mustard and ketchup. It tasted so good to me when I was pregnant. There is just something about them that is sooo good!!

naptime nostalgia said...

I'm convinced they put cocaine in those suckers. They just taste so good. Makes you want another.

Crack is wack.

Lisa said...

Sometime you just have to have a plain MceeDee's Cheeseburger. After I always feel a little yuckie though. I love all the plain and ketchup only orders. I don't feel so alone any more! There is really something to be said for the comfort of knowing exactly what you are going to get.
P.S. Does anyone know where to get those pink iced animal cookies? I look for them all the time. I think they are extinct.

Lizz said...

I don't know why, but this post made me cry. (no, it's not that time of the month, and NO, I'm not pregnant)Maybe I am in need of some comfort right about now. (Not just diet coke and vanilla wafers)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP