Remember It’s a Sin to Kill a Mockingbird

Saturday, July 5, 2008

When they finally saw him, why he hadn’t done any of those things . . .
Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
His hands were under my chin, pulling up the cover, tucking it around me.
“Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.


I am 28, love to read, and just finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time in my life. How did I miss this book in my youth?

Atticus Finch is my new parenting hero. I hope that one day when I have children I will be able to teach them to love and accept people like he taught Scout and Jem to love and respect everyone for who they are, rather than just based on their race, beliefs, or social background. Teaching children to truly see people is one of my goals as a parent. Atticus executed this teaching beautifully.

And how could you not just fall in love with Scout? If I have a girl as wise, charismatic and innocent as her I will be a happy mom. Great read. I love books!

5 Comments:

Lizz said...

I totally loved this book. I too missed out on the youthful experience of reading it as assigned by my high school english teacher. I finally read it when it was assigned to a deaf student for whom I interpreted in 1999. he didn't read it. I guess that's how the cycle goes. I am glad you loved it too.

Lisa H. said...

This is definitely one of my favorite books of all time. It's about time I read it again. I love the line (quoting from memory here, so it won't be a direct quote), "He done busted up my chifferobe."

Dill's character is actually based on Truman Capote as a kid, since he and Harper Lee were good friends.

Lacey Jane said...

I know... right? This book is amazing. Scout's one of my favorite characters ever!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have lived this long without reading this book! This is by far my favorite book and I always wanted to name a daughter Scout. Atticus always reminded my of my dad. Love him. My favorite line is after the closing arguments and Rev. Sykes says, "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing." LOVE IT!!
-Brooke

Anonymous said...

I actaully read this book first when I was in the fifth grade and didn't understand it at all. I couldn't get what my grandparents had been going on and on about. I read it again in the seventh grade and I loved it. The way its writtn, the way the entire sotry is told from Scutts point of view is just beautiful. The part I love the most is when she finally meets Boo...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP