Somebody Pinch Me...

Wednesday, November 5, 2008


Remember when you first start dating someone and you have a fantastic, wonderful night together and the next morning in a sleepy haze your happy, dreamy thoughts wake you up before your alarm and you realize... that you aren't dreaming but something totally amazing is happening in your life.

That happened to me this morning (but it wasn't about someone I was dating because I have a husband). Thoughts of last time came trickling in around the late 5 o'clock hour and when I realized that this really is happening in our country, I was so content there in my covers. It wasn't a dream!

Barack Obama is going to our President.

It is no secret that I come from a politically passionate family. My parents have been passionate spokespersons for social causes my whole life and I fully admit that their ideals have spilled onto me. My father weeps when he votes. I have been raised in a culture of appreciation for the rights we have to participate in this democratic process. And yesterday was no different.

Some hightlights for me:
  • Driving to school and getting misty 3 times as I honked and waved at the Obama supporters. "This is really going to happen!", I thought to myself.
  • Remembering how Super Tuesday always reminds me of 8 years ago in Bellingham when Heather and I stayed up late into the night watching the tv.
  • Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert announce that CNN has just called the election ... hurried and changed the channel to CNN. Comedy Central just won't cut it for now.
  • Being able to celebrate with Rik and Eva in our home.
  • John McCain's concession speech was wonderful. He was sincere and genuine and I feel like he really believed what he was saying.
  • Seeing thousands of people waiting for Obama to come out. Hundreds of thousands!
  • Mr. President Elect Barack Obama and the symbol he represents to many.
  • America's branding has just been hugely increased internationally.
  • No More George W!
For my conservative friends (you know who you are), hang in there with him. Be optimistic. I didn't think Jon Huntsman would be a good governor of Utah and he changed my mind.

Take a little breather
then bring on that change, Mr. President!

12 Comments:

JRV said...

I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Kind of like when you were a kid, and the next morning you were going to Disneyland. I felt like that.
Hallelujah!!

Marni Timmerman said...

Tears of Joy! Great time to be alive!

Rick Meyers said...

I love how in to this you are. Regardless of who you voted for Obama's speech last night was cool.

hannah said...

Wonderful...Historical....Memorable.....
YES WE CAN!!!!

jamie said...

Last night I kept thinking "this is such an amazing moment to be alive!"
It was a wonderful feeling.

Stacie said...

I love this post. I love your passion, Aim. Love it!

LAINA said...

Let me just say that I agree with your entire post. It seems so unreal. I get moved to tears often to think of the changes that America has made and hopefully will make. I look forward to having a President in office that I actually admire.

naptime nostalgia said...

Love this post. My sentiments EXACTLY!

Sam said...

Aimee, thanks for spreading the love! We'll be telling our grandkiddies about this day!
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Communism! Terrorism! Abort all the children! Gun control! Gay marriage! Take from the rich and give to the poor! sweeeeeet!!!

I can't wait for the next 4 years...

Aimee said...

Anonymous commenters are cowards and are hated my me. If you want to have an open political debate I am all for it! If you want to continue to hide behind your anonymity feel free but I have no respect for your opinion when you can't back it with who you are.

Libbi said...

First, I love it! I agree. Second, if I didn't agree I would never make ignorant anonymous comments. Come on seriously? Communism? Abort ALL babies? Sounds like an educated and highly interesting individual. No wonder you hide.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP