The Life You Want
Saturday, February 21, 2009
On Friday I taught my last relationship class at my internship. I have been teaching this class for almost a year now so there was a little sadness in having to let it go. I loved teaching this subject and I loved the relationship it allowed me to create with the women in my class. Even though the class was on relationships the underlying subliminal (ok...not so subliminal...I am as transparent as can be) message of my class was about how we can have a life-long love affair with ourselves and how we can intentionally get back or build our self-esteem that was, at times, unintentionally taken away from us because of situations that may have happened in our childhood or pains we carry through our life.
Addiction is a tricky curse to break and traps people in some unhealthy patterns. I would never wish addiction on any individual or family and my heart hurts when I see people in the midst of the pain. Most of these women at the treatment center are working hard on making big changes in their life. The big one being self-esteem issues. I tell them all the time, over and over again, that they can have the life they want and I mean it. Every time I repeat it I mean it. Doing the work is hard but on the other side IT IS WORTH IT. And they forget that at times so I remind them.
And tonight I am working on a lesson I will be giving at my sisters church tomorrow about self-esteem and all that stuff that makes our souls complicated. So the topic is in my heart tonight.Since I was sick last week and wasn't able to go to work, another intern showed this video and we finished it up yesterday. It is called Penelope (see the trailer here) and was produced by Reese Witherspoon's production company. How did I not hear about this movie when it was in the theaters? It is a beautiful message for girls, moms, and grown-up girls like me and you too. If you get a chance it is a great movie to convey the message of acceptance of self even when it seems impossible to do so. We also read this poem together by Maya Angelou. Good stuff.
The point: Love yourself like crazy. It is good for the soul.


8 Comments:
Okay, sorry about that earlier post. I was signed in under my father-in-law's account somehow. Strange.
Okay, so now, posting as myself. . .
I loved this post. The whole issue of women and their fragile self-esteems intrigue me.
How did I miss this movie? I have an old Blockbuster gift certificate that I thought I had no use for (I'm more of a redbox girl), but now I do. Thanks.
And as far as the poem goes. I loved it, but sadly couldn't relate. I wanted to, but just couldn't. I wish I could though. If I too felt that way about my body, I wonder what I could do. . .
Great post Aim.
The movie was so sweet, and yes your right had a great message. I have to say although I have not been commenting lately I am still regularly enjoying all of your posts. I miss all of the girl talk with you at all the "Galas". I am glad your over the sicky stuff. xoxo
Aimee, you are a phenomenal therapist. I am in awe. Truly, your ability to connect with and inspire these women was contagious to witness. Thank you for welcoming me to observe. You are rich with creativity, compassion, and desire for change.
I love all of your posts on loving yourself. It is something we all need to hear on a regular basis.
I imagine that you are a great and effective therapist. What a perfect career path for you!
One day I'd love to pick your brain on the subject. Of course personally, but especially as a mom I think about this topic a lot. Do you think your dad had a huge impact in shaping you and your siblings self-concepts? How did your parents do it - what are the secrets to success - how do we help our children be confident in who they are? I know there isn't one simple answer - but maybe one day you can do a post on that topic. ;)
I'm going to bug Shannon about that, too. I've always been super impressed by your family in that regard. :)
I love Penelope! I'm so glad you have discovered it. What a great message. I love reading your posts - you are darling. Hope you guys are doing well!
Love ya!
My gosh, Penelope is so wonderful. I loved this post--and I'm loving your blog in general. Thanks so much for sharing what you know!
I realize I'm coming to this late, but I'm so happy that Kalleigh Hathaway at Heart Anchored pointed me to this blog. I am going through a major mid-life crisis including the break up of my marriage and family and wish I could have seen some of these posts YEARS ago.
The primary reason I'm leaving my marriage is precisely BECAUSE I have learned to love myself, and now have the courage to be the person I truly want to be, which I could never do in the confines of my marriage.
Yes, I agree with counseling and preventative care on relationships...but some unions are flawed from the beginning, and you just need something, anything, to give you the courage to take that first step toward a positive change. Before I enter into my next (hopefully last) long term relationship, My Love and I will definitely begin with some counseling and continue with that preventive care throughout our lives.
Post a Comment