Visions of the Cap & Gown
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
As you all know my time in graduate school is quickly coming to an end. I will be graduating in the worst economy that my nearly 60-year-old dad can remember living through. Lovely. But the funny thing is I feel really calm. I have no idea why but my anxiousness has chilled out a ton since this quarter started. This is terribly strange being that there are some pretty big things that need to happen in order for me to wear that cap and gown. I just know that they are all going to get done somehow. I can do another month. I won't die in a month, right?! I've made it 18 months so pushing through this last part is going to happen. I may be crawling over the finish line, with my makeup running down my face, and my hair in every which way but I will graduate.
One of the Big Things that Must Be Done Before I Graduate: So I am taking a human sexuality class from Tina. She is passionate about sexuality and I'm not kidding. The passion for changing the way society "does sex" spills off her. I will probably become a certified sex therapist because of her (and I'm sure some of the way I was raised plays into that too). Anyway, for this class we are required to write an Autobiography of our Sexuality starting from childhood ending in the present. This is like no other paper I have written for any class! This paper will include how our parents talked about sex, the culture of sexuality in the home, how sex was talked about in your church culture, sexual abuse, masturbation, "playing doctor", shaming experiences around sexuality, teenage sexuality, positive sexual experience, loss of virginity, the meaning sex in marriage, etc. etc. etc. .... AND I should be writing it now being that I am skipping class to enjoy the sunshine but yet here I am, on my blog, not writing my paper yet.
So if you are curious and want to think about these questions for yourself click here for the outline and requirements of the paper. There are a lot of thought provoking questions. I think it good for everyone to explore these questions in their life especially as they enter relationships and/or are raising children. Needless to say, it should be very interesting to write and I am actually looking forward to looking at it all in the context of my life. They do not let us get out of looking at all our "stuff" in this program.

Next Big To-Do: My final clinical portfolio is due May 14th. This is SPU's version of a dissertation. It will be a thick print job. Lastly, I do a final presentation on May 21st and after that it is smooth sailing. WOHOOO. My last day at my internship is June 3 (sad) and my final day of class is June 5th. It is really happening.


15 Comments:
Hi Aim. Happy graduation a bit early. I already have your present in mind. But don't ask Shan or she'll spill the beans.
Anyway, what I don't get after reading your post is why you didn't put a picture of sex like you do for your other themes. I mean, hello, sex sells. Do you want people to read your blog or not? Okay, okay I'm totally kidding (and sorry--i guess--to other commenters who see this?)
Maybe you could write a church manual about the positive wayS to teach children about all things sex and sell it to SLC because some people really just don't know. Not to their fault necessarily, but it's not a priority.
To be cont...
Melanie,
Sadly I think they might reject my ideas on how we should teach sexuality to our kids/teens as Mormons. This shame thing isn't working anymore. Maybe you will be the only one at my seminar. I'll send you an invite :)
I'll work on getting a better picture too. You are right. I really need to step it up if I want readership!
Aimee
Melanie -- my first thought was RUUUUUDE, I wouldn't spill the beans....then it was "she does know me well?" however, i do not spill the beans about really important things though -- ask aimee i am the best confidant. i do have a hard time not wanting to share a fun surprise -- BUT i would.
Aimee. you say you may finish graduation crawling, make up running, hair everywhere -- but don't forget to say LONG FLOWING HAIR that flows from that graduation cap.
da da da da da da da da da da (the commencement music).
I just read what goes into that paper. Good luck. I would have a hard time writing it. There are so many personal and private questions to answer. Great to explore...not so great to have someone else read.
Go Aimee! Go Aimee! You've made it over the hump. For me, the last few months of grad school just seemed totally surreal and they flew by. I am so excited for you to be done and embarking on your career. Go go go!
Yay Aimee! I am so glad you posted the link for the paper. Both the man and I are going to write one because I think it's SOO important to know where you are coming from regarding sex and teaching your children. I don't think we realize just how quickly we can introduce shame into our kids lives. My question is to you new therapist, once we write these, what would you recommend is our next step?
P.S. I have secretly been jealous of your program since the onset. It seriously seems so AMAZING. Can't wait to learn from you!
I think the paper sound really fun, I will definitly take a look at. Coming from someone who has had a lot of shame put on her because of sex I think it's great to teach kids that its ok to be a sexual being.
Oh my goodness, where to start?
How about with, Happy Early Graduation!!!! It has been so fun to hear about all your grad school projects and papers. I am really jealous that you did this. You will be an AMAZING therapist.
Okay, secondly, I will totally be in attendance to your Mormon sex seminar. As will be my children when it's "time".
And thirdly, the perameters for that paper totally and completely scare me. (Yes, I have issues). Perhaps that is exactly why I should participate.
Lastly, I am so completely excited for you to be graduating. You will be an amazing therapist. I wish I could be your client.
Just had to say hello since you commented on my blog about Amanda. Congratulations on the upcoming graduation..and yes...you can finish it all in time. Just breathe. I read a few of your posts and I have to say that I think you are crazy cool. I recently moved from Renton, Wa and seeing where you live makes me a bit homesick. And I'm a photographer. And my husband has MS. And I like sex. There, I said it:) So seriously, don't we have a lot in common?
Happy Endings are the BEST!!
Aimee, I'm getting so excited for you! You will be entering into the next chapter of your life in merely a month and a half. I miss your face, and am really looking forward to catching up with you and heart to hearting. It's been too long and we miss you. How is your Saturday looking? Basil and Wilkie are excited to meet you.
Oh, and P.S. we got Paco back today. :) He will be excited to see you too.
Aimee,
Can't wait!! Can't wait!! I love Seattle. So So So So So proud of you. Love you. Love your stories happy to be apart of your life.
Didn't we just have a play list/ good bye party... Now you are graduating. A wise commenter once said how time is a thief! good luck friend. See you next week!!!
OK Aimee, this is my first comment on a blog EVER and it's all because I know you love the comments so much! =)
Graduation, (even better really the end of paper writing) is SO close.... I can't believe it. I am so glad I got to experience this program with you and I totally totally vote that you become a sex therapist!
The rest of the world deserves to hear some of the awesome views/beliefs you learned from your dad on sexuality... I think you just found your professional "it."
This is the coolest thing I've ever heard!! Aimee, I am so jealous of your vocation.
Dan H
Post a Comment