The Clap.

Sunday, May 10, 2009


There is something happening in this day in age that pleases my heart. This event only happens on opening weekends of hot blockbuster movies (like for example Star Trek). I wait and wait until the moment when the movie ends... the credits roll... and the audience gloriously... claps! I clap extra loud and enthusiastically just to annoy Scott since he thinks it is totally ridiculous that people clap to no one - no director or screenwriter - just fellow patrons of the film there to enjoy the cinematic pleasure together.

I can't articulate why exactly this makes me so happy but the experience pretty much makes it worth it to fight the crowd, get there early for good seats, and requires one to keep your feet on the floor rather than on the chair in front of you. Maybe it is just the community of it all that puts a smile on my face. Cinematic Community Clapping... lovely, no?

Embrace the clapping, people.
Embrace the clap. (and I'm not referring to the STD)

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!! Finally someone who agrees with my love of clapping. Seriously... I wish I could clap (and boo) in church sometimes.

melanie said...

Never, no never.

I am mortified for the clappers. The folks from the '50s who are in their '80s...I cringe in embarassment for them (for you)...as they (and now you) are so unaware.

Bridget said...

I didn't even know the clap was an STD.

Lisa said...

Yes, I love the clap...maybe it's a family thing. We did clap in church once and it was a thing of beauty. I agree with Brooke on the booing as well.

Cassie said...

I'm with Scott. Hate the clapping. i do the quiet excited clapping during the movie when something wonderful just came on screen that I was totally looking forward to. But no one hears that.

Shannon said...

love it. love the extreme perspective on clappers vs non-clappers. i love to clap along with a room full of people.

in mama mia i wanted to sing along and dance along.

brooke love the clapping and booing in church comment. so true.

Libbi said...

i love the clappers! Hate the commenters.

Sara said...

I love the clap as well, it does make you feel like you are in the days of old hollywood where going to the movies was a huge event in people's lives.

At Jordan Common's in Sandy (UT) they have ushers welcome you to the movie before it starts and I always like that as well.

Have you heard of the new theater in Redmond? Something like $35 a ticket but leather recliner chairs and they serve you and give you a blanket and pillow. Interesting?

Shannon said...

yeah the place in redmond also serves dinner. i haven't been but my friend told me all about it. it sounds fun.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP