So What's Next?

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Upon graduation, the biggest question I have gotten is the "what's next?" question which I love and hate all at the same time. I love it because it means that school is done (hooray!) but fear and anxiety are also nested just under the surface of that question for me. It was safe and easy to say "I'm a student." People don't expect much out of a student and I found comfort in little to no expectation for 2 years. I can't say those words anymore as much as I would love to wrap my legs and arms around it and hold on tight. I've got to make something of myself now. Eeekkk.

But really though, I know you are probably thinking it: What's next for you, Aimee? So here it is, my friends. Once we finally made the decision to stay in Washington we were able to start making plans again. I don't do well in limbo. Oh no. Limbo and I have some work to do together.

I am going to be working 1-2 days a week at a group practice in Redmond. The women that I will be subleasing space from seems like a wonderful human and mentor whom I will be proud to be learn from. I will be there on Wednesday and eventually Saturdays too (hopefully as clients come pouring in!). On the off days I plan on supplementing my "hobby" by working somewhere that will pay me lots of money to do mindless work or find an agency job (slim pickings right now) that will pay me less money but will build hours towards getting licensed. Either way, it is lovely to have a plan again.

In the meantime Scott, my husband and personal designer, and I have been working on my brand. Many times in therapy I use the example of how our life is a story and how going to therapy can give a witness to ones experience and help in the healing process. I am trying to tie that idea into my brand without overdoing it. The words of my brilliant, articulate friend Rushie said it best:

"I like how we can learn so much by going back a few chapters, and rewriting a few.

Like how whatever happened wasn't actually our fault. And how that changes the next chapter.
We are all living breathing stories. I love and hate that. Life makes and breaks your heart, no?"

Well said, Rush. Well said.

So everyone, what do you think of my new business card?

(front and back)
Business Card

Feel free to start being my biggest referring partner. (I will send gifts).

18 Comments:

Jo said...

Love the business card, and the new blog layout. Too bad you aren't closer and I could be a client. I am very lost now that I'm done :)

Shannon said...

Genius I tell ya genius.

Each time I look at it I love it more. It makes me want to spill me whole story out to you (even though you already know it all).

Wonderful!

MAB said...

Love the design, and the new blog layout too!

Did I mention I'm so glad you guys are staying here? :)

camihubrich said...

Ooooh. Love the card, very much.

Shannon said...

I had you tabbed on my computer as I was working on my blurb book and had to just come back to look at those beautiful cards. love this idea and design.

hannah said...

LOVE IT!!

a perfect brand - it is beautiful extension of you!

Eva said...

You're so lucky to have a personal graphic designer! Great job, Scott. I love it. If I could name Aimee's brand attributes based off this card they would be:
professional
friendly
skilled
refreshing
smart
engaged
All things I would want out of a therapist! The only bad thing about being friends with you is that it excludes me from being a client of yours. Your clients are lucky people.

Jeni Angel said...

It looks great! Although I don't know you very well, it seems very you. Congratulations!

naptime nostalgia said...

I love this business card. So creative, so to the point. I also am loving your new blog layout. Can I say, I'm jealous?

teage-and-erin said...

OOohhhhh...I like it. I should come up with some big story just so I can call you!

LSL said...

Lovely cards! I'm glad things are going well and that you have a plan!

Amanda said...

This... is perfection.

Can we tele-conference? Can you council me via email? Honestly, where were you when I went to counseling as a single, part of a couple? Divine, really.

we chirp said...

Can I get a sort of family, story-telling discount? Or just a chat here and there. Love the branding. Nice work together.

whit

Sunshine Promises said...

I agree with all the above. LOVE your card. Brillant. Wish you lived closer so you could help me figure out the morale to my own story.

Maybe someday.

matt, bekah, jax said...

I love it. Scott is so creative. The tag and design in so you.

And we could use you right now. Do you travel? You could start a whole "niche" market of working with medical residents and their spouses. Especially in Seattle - known for some of the toughest residency programs in the country.

On another note, I used to work for a healthcare branding firm in Chicago and one of my most favorite clients and "brand story" is YellowBrick. Check out their story it might be inspiring in some way to differentiate yourself, different market, but such a great therapeutic approach, http://www.thinkhbg.com/portfolio/what_we_create/ and http://www.yellowbrickprogram.com/faq.html

alisha said...

I really love your business cards Aimee. I LOVE the concept of our lives being "living breathing stories" that make us who and what we are - not static characteristics, events and stereotypes. Brilliant.

Sara said...

Love the cards, Aim! You're going to be an amazing therapist.

Tiffany said...

I'm behind on reading. I'm catching up, though. I love your card and your philosophy. Many good things are headed your way, I'm sure of it.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP