Recession Proof
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Tonight, in a summer-tv-blues-desperate-for-something-to-watch-isn't-this-the-same-exact-episode-of-Wipe-Out-that-was-on-last-week-and-the-week-before moment, and after seeing that we were #78 out of 90 on the hold list for a DVD series at the King County library, I finally was able to get the thumbs up from Scott to sign up for Netflix. Woohoo!I have had a number of friends tell me they had or were going to sign up to save themselves the cost of the ever-increasing movie ticket. I believe Netflix and Apple are the two companies not feeling the effects of this economy crunch (still can't believe how many iphone were sold).
So we can check off on the Hipsters-To-Do-List to sign up for Netflix and we plan on FINALLY getting iPhones by the end of the summer because our Verizon contract is up tomorrow. {Visualize me dancing}
Bottomline: We're so Generation Y/Millennials/Trophy Generation cliché.
First on the DVD que: HBO's: The Wire. Reviews? Anyone? Anyone?
First on the Watch Instantly que: This American Life: Season 1 & Sexual Healing
Saw the image below via PopCandy. This was on her friend's Netflix recommendation page. It made me laugh. Hard.

Any movies/documentaries out there I MUST SEE? I have millions of movies at my disposal now. It makes me feel so cultured.


5 Comments:
I haven't been on NetFlix online movie library in a while, but I don't remember the selection being that great. They didn't have too many newer movies on it. HOWEVER, I did end up watching the PBS (I think) mini-series that was Jane Eyre. I thought it was great...but old. And well, you'd probably like it...especially the relationships in it. They're probably in need of some family therapy.
The Wire is awesome. I also watched Deadwood recently and really liked it.
As for documentaries: I highly recommend Wild Combination: A Portrait of Arthur Russell -- it's an extremely sweet piece about an experimental musician Arthur Russell, who developed a following in New York in the 80s and 90s. It's also directed by my friend Matt, which I think is pretty awesome.
I also really love Rivers and Tides, which is about sculptor Andy Goldsworthy, and My Architect: A Son's Journey, which was made by Louis Khan's son.
And if you haven't seen Mad Hot Ballroom, that's a must.
1) I like the new look of your blog. Couldn't tell on Reader, but just noticed and love it.
2) You know how I feel about The Wire. I'm religious about it. Evangelical really.
3) We just did Netflix, too, but are likely going to give up our iPhones once our contracts are up; they're just not that great. Not worth the cashola.
Welcome to Netflix girl; you and Scott will love it! It saves me from summer nighttime insanity due to the stupid reruns and reality. You probably already saw it because you are already very hip, but I just Netflixed 'Lars and the Real Girl' and was in awe. Very interesting. AND the best part of Netflix: checking out the oldies but goodies like 'My So Called Life'; nothing better than watching some teenage angst.
MUST see Taking Chase with Kevin Bacon, who I've never really loved. But that is one great movie.
:)
Post a Comment