Surprise, Surprise: The Obvious Announcement
Monday, June 22, 2009
Did you watch the Jon & Kate divorce episode tonight?
Thoughts? Opinions? Tears, cheers, or who cares?
Thoughts? Opinions? Tears, cheers, or who cares?
I must admit that it was my first full episode I have ever seen but in honor of the celebrity divorce I thought it was appropriate for me to do a plug for preventative couples counseling. I heard them say a few times that it was a slow process of falling apart which is usually how it goes with divorce. I am a big fan of couples counseling (obviously) and here is why. Ready for my therapy soap box? Hold on tight.
In America, we have little problem going to the dentist twice a year for preventative exams. We schedule our 6 months cleaning appointments so we don't have to go through the awful pain and dental trauma of root canals, crowns, or heaven forbid extractions. We love our teeth and usually want to keep them until our dying day. Dentists try and catch the fillings each visit so your teeth don't rot and fall apart. If caught early enough we save ourselves from greater cost and pain down the road. It is normal and expected that we take care of our teeth and because of this dentists are rich and Americans have lovely pearly whites.
But when it comes to preventative work on a very, if not the most important relationship in our lives we hesitate because of cost, shame, or lack of time. The slow, churning, under-the-surface problems can lead to resentment, sadness, and miscommunication or lack thereof (as we saw with Jon) that if not addressed, results in divorce or just two people, unhappily co-existing in the disguise of holy matrimony. Sad. Very sad. Who wants that for their relationship? I don't believe that the majority of couples get married thinking they are going to get divorced when they grow up (think 1980's anti-drug campaign).
American's teeth are beautiful but the divorce rate is crazy high.
Why aren't we taking care of our relationships the same way we are taking care of our teeth?
Why aren't we taking care of our relationships the same way we are taking care of our teeth?
What happens very often is that couples go to therapy when it is time for the relationship to be "extracted" so to speak. One person is so emotionally divorced from the relationship and they spend most the time trying to convince the therapist why the divorce must happen. At that point it is more difficult to do much recovery work. If the couple would go to counseling when little problems pop up (or cavities - keep going with my metaphor here!) it could possibly help the marriage in significant ways down the road. No need for extractions when you have done the work on your marriage, right? A few visits to the therapist a year might save yourself from emotional pain, divorce expenses, child support, and all the other complicated mental, spiritual, and social cost of ending a marriage.
There is no judgment from me about the decision of the Gosselins. Honestly, I get that some problems are more intense than yearly checkups. The whole subject of divorce makes me wonder that if our culture spent some more time and focus working on the little issues we might be able to prevent some of the bigger ones.
Point of my post: No reason to be embarrassed to go to counseling if there seems to be some bumps in the road. You might find that it is actually more interesting than going to the dentist.



8 Comments:
I didn't watch it. I don't usually watch that show. I feel for the kids.
I totally and completely agree with you about the counseling!
Brilliant! Your metaphor is absolutely brilliant!
I agree with you on the therapy point, but I wish there was better insurance for couples therapy. Our dental insurance provides free checkups every 6 months, whereas therapy is PRICEY! And with dental insurance preventative is covered as long as you keep the cavities away... wouldn't that be great if there was preventative therapy and as long as you kept divorce away it was covered with no out of pocket?
I know when it comes to protecting your marriage money shouldn't play a factor, but unfortunately it does.
I would love to go to personal and couples therapy once a week and/or twice a month because I really find it beneficial, but can't justify the expense on the budget. (Plus I went to a psycho therapist once and have been a little trigger shy ever since).
Let's chat sometime... maybe there's a solution.
Aimee - you are going to be an outstanding couples therepist. I think it's so important for couples to be open and speak with a third party who is completely disconnected from their life before the major issues arise.
Unfortunately, I think it took Jon and Kate years of scrutiny (from the public) to realize that their life together just may not work out.
I love the analogy you used as well. I am a huge fan of therapy. I know it's a huge stigma. But I would much rather be seeking help now, when it is needed, rather than 15 years down the road when things have become completely overwhelming.
And while yes, I understand that money can be tight and living on a budget is never easy, I would rather spend my money on therapy than seeing a movie every week. The benefits of therapy can far outweigh other things in the budget. Especially if they help a struggling marriage. In my life, placing therapy as a priority has made a huge impact: whether it was helping me deal with being sexually abused, or helping in my marriage. WORTH EVERY PENNY.
Agreed. Love you passion.
And You will be a wonderful therapist.
Okay, well, I have been watching Jon & Kate from the very beginning. And it has been seriously so sad to see their marriage crumble. I can barely write about it. Just so disappointing.
But as far as the preventative couples counseling goes, well I agree with alot of the comments, especially Saras. My dental plan is like $14 a month for my whole family. If I could pay $14 a month and go see a therapist when I felt like I or we or my kids needed it, I would in a heart beat. But unfortunetly it's not that cost effective. And how do you even find a good therapist that you will feel comfortable with?
But your main point about making our relationships as important as our teeth? Awesome. I totally agree. Sometimes I get conflicted when people say that marriage shouldn't have to be all this work. It should be easy. Well, perhaps I'm in the minority here, but my marriage is something I work at every day. And not because Hubs is difficult, or I am per say, but the marriage dynamic in and of itself is.
Anyway, great post Aim.
Perfect metaphor. I love it! Thanks for the plug.
Post a Comment