A Family That Videos Together, Stays Together
Thursday, September 3, 2009
It is no surprise to anyone that really knows me how much I love being born in a world with texting, internet, Apple computers, Google, and my favorite, video chatting. (Three necessities to a happy internet life are 1) A Mac 2) Comcast 3) Google).
I have heard many argue that these forms of technology are hurting relationship because it keeps you distracted from really being present when in the company of others. In some regards, I agree with this observations on our modern world. I am guilty of talking on my phone in the grocery line once or twice (shame on me) and being overly anxious to a text buzzing my phone while with good friends (why should I care what is going on with my text world when I have great people right in front of me?). Not to mention the ways in which this idea of "connection" and "accessibility" has increased affairs both emotionally and physically when your ex-boyfriend/girlfriend (that seem perfect in your aging memory of earlier days) is just one click away as your marriage hits troubled time.
All that being said, I still believe that technology, when harnessed appropriately, allows us to connect in more powerful ways than any negative argument that could be made on the issue.
Video chatting is just one example. When you live far away from friends and family there is nothing better than having a face-to-face conversation to make you feel not so far away. What could be more fun than having Ryan and Scott combining video head/beards to make one head like in the pictures above?
Or listening to Karen tell us how she cut off her finger earlier this week. (ouch!)
Or seeing newborns in ways you never could over phone or in pictures.
Or joining in a night of fun conversation with your favorite couple friends.
Or having nieces and nephews see their traveling parents when you are tending them.
Or seeing Grandma Betty's face as she video chats for the first time.
Or having your niece video you when you are still in bed doing the morning email routine and look like a mess to tell you that they are having a boy!
Or seeing all the funny faces people make when watching themselves on camera.
Good times. Good, good times.
Ahh, technology; how you make my life so much more enjoyable.
I hope you are all joining in on the video chatting fun too.
Thank the good heavens above you weren't born without electricity.



9 Comments:
Yeah for head beards! Yeah! Hooray!
Oh, I love the video chat. My mom got to ooh and ahhh over my baby from 1800 miles away and I get to talk with my brother in Japan whenever I want.
Oh, and I miss you!
I'm totally going to get into video chatting. Just as soon as things calm down for me on Second Life...
;)
LOVE video chat. Especially when I'm far away from my boys. It's what will get me through my trip away from them next month.
Hey, are you signed in -- let's video chat :)
I love feeling like I am in the same room as you. Miss you.
My little ladies also love chatting with Nana and Grampy in England, so I can't fault it really.
Agreed. I couldn't stand to be so far away from my family without technology!
P.S. I was SO hoping that was the video clip you were linking!
Video what? Yeah, not yet. But it does sound like good times!
Good points. Technology is what you make of it. The video chatting was a blast.
You should stop video chatting and start blogging again. I miss reading you!!:)
jk.
Post a Comment