Where I’m From

Monday, October 5, 2009


I am from alphabetical, tree-lined, Sugarhouse streets with a laundry shoot we would slide down.
I am from a magical, imaginative, scraped-knee childhood
where lemonade was not sold on the neighborhood corner
but given away for free.
I am from non-conforming, non-judgmental, passionate parents.
I am molded from two older sisters and
we molded one little brother.
I am from the fiercely loyal extended family and the 4th member of the Original 5
where fort building and couch-to-mini-trampoline-back-to-couch moves were mastered.
I am from California summers, Paul Simon, and Joni Mitchell
with messy hair, sun kissed cheeks and sand in my toes.
I am from built-in waterbeds and lilac bushes, where I would breath in deeply
and realize the scent of safety.
I am from a family who is open with conflict, emotions, verbal affection, and sexuality.
I am from a school bus on Wasatch Boulevard, August and Everything After,
millions of friends hanging at our house, and canyon drives.
I am from tears to Seattle that eventually dried up
as new friends were made.
I am from walks in St. Edwards where the sacred words spoken remain there,
hang from the leaves
and greet me every time I enter.
I am from conversations, matters of the heart, and relationship over sleep.
I am from rainy walks home in Bellingham, the YMCA,
Joey Potter and Felicity Porter.
I am from snowy winters on a bike in Japan, warm toilet seats,
letters from home and Ecuador.
I am from falling in love on a couch on Hermosa’s back porch,
most embarrassing moment,
and “yes, yes, yes’s”.
I am from a new family who loves me for me and are good, honest people.
I am from the Northwest where the earth smells healthy
and a cracked window makes for the perfect sleeping temperature.
I am from extroversion, late night productivity, and life organization.
I am from growing pains from change, forgetfulness that people are more private than myself,
and an unhealthy paranoia about making mistakes.
I am from the school that being a good friend is vital for a happy life -
this applies to all my relationships.
I am from the belief that at the end of my life the main thing that will matter is if I was kind.

Writing style stolen from one of my favorite bloggers that was based on this poem.
image from this fun contest.

19 Comments:

Tiffany said...

I love, love, love this poem. I especially love the lines about the free lemonade. Beautiful!

janae said...

I would say you are from a pretty great place!!! And you are definitely kind!!!!

alisha said...

I love this. I love the things that make us who we are. I love memories - especially childhood memories - hoping my kids will have magical memories that will stay with them forever, too. I love where you came from - your family is an inspiration to me. I might have to copy this idea sometime. :)

Team Jackpot said...

Coexistence!!!!! Aimee...aim-eeeeeeeee! You are very kind, even if your feet are puffy. I thank agnostic beings every day for you.

Bridget said...

What a great style of poem. I'm not even going to read the other one because you my friend have mastered this one. Well done. It's amazing how many people and places shape our lives.

camihubrich said...

I love reminiscing about my childhood and you are one who does often. Thanks for making me take a second today to remember making forts and also for taking the time to appreciate all the changes in life as well.

Sunshine Promises said...

I love you, Aimee. I treasure the memories we made together half a world away. One of the most pivotal summers of my life.

You are truly a beautiful person inside and out and I am blessed to know you.

Love you, girl.

Humanist mom said...

I love this. I'm stealing it.

LAINA said...

I love this idea and I love where you are from.

I just may have to steal the idea and do one of my own. I love it that much.

jamie said...

I loved reading this. So beautiful.

hannah said...

I love where you came from. Beautiful.

Shannon said...

I am from a lot of the same places as you. Because we are sisters.

I plan to copy this style as well someday.

Brianne said...

Aimee,
I didn't want the poem to end. It was absolutely amazing as are you. I am never surprised by your brillance. I am however amazed by your patience and acceptence and love for me. indebted.

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Inspiring... I think I would like to try this writing exercise.

Carrie said...

i am totally totally doing this although I feel really lame for stealing from you, but not so lame since you stole it from someone else. But I have to know, if you steal something that wants to be stolen, don't you own it then?

Maybe I shouldn't teach the youth at church:)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP