Laced With Cocaine? Perhaps.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This post is for my Mom and Uncle Mark Janke who kindly brought her over a huge bag of popcorn so she could enjoy her famous caramel corn again. We transported the goods all the way through 4 states.

With the help of Lee, tonight our family got to enjoy the love that is this popping corn.


It is a wonderful recipe friends. In honor of many years my mom made this for friends and family alike I will share it with you all so when you get an itch to make something tasty you can remember this and make your mouths happy. I don't mean to brag but I think it might be the best caramel popcorn recipe I've ever tasted.

WARNING FOR POPCORN LOVERS BLOG WIDE:
This corn is highly addictive. Eat at your own risk.

:: Marilyn's Famous Caramel Corn ::

Prep:
Put 6 quarts of popcorn in brown paper grocery bags (1 quart = 4 cups).

Combine in pan over medium-high heat:
• 2 cups light brown sugar
• 2 sticks of butter
• 1/4 t. salt if popcorn is presalted, if no use 1/2 t.
• 1/2 cup white Karo syrup
• 1/4 t. cream of tartar

Cook above ingredients to hard ball stage (240˚).
Take off heat and add 3/4 t. baking soda.
Stir as it foams up.
Pour mixture over popcorn in brown paper bags.
Stir mixture in with wooden spoon so it coats all the popcorn.
Interesting tidbit: the hot caramel doesn't melt through or stick to the bag?! Go figure?!
Spread popcorn out on two large cooking pans.
Bake at 150˚ for 45-60 minutes, tossing about twice during the hour.

Eat with friends or while watching a scary Halloween movie.


Any family friends out there that remembers Mar's caramel popcorn?

12 Comments:

Tiffany said...

When I was reading this, I said, "But doesn't it get the bag all gooey?" But, no!

I am definitely trying this recipe! Thanks.

Mighty Hunter said...

Holy crap, that sounds awesome. I must try this. MUST.

Thanks for sharing out this recipe.

Kayleen said...

Really want to try this but what is a square of butter? Do you mean stick?

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

Thanks for the receipt! I am going to try it, I love caramel corn!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll ALWAYS remember Mar's popcorn and mac & cheese and cutting frozen pizzas with scissors and Lisa eating string beans right out of the can...
LOVE IT! LOVE YOU!

Stacie said...

No, never had it, but you can be sure I am going to try it! asap. Looks yummy.

Shannon said...

i remember it. love it. sad i missed it. save some for me upon my return?

i'll have to make it myself now that i'm all grown up.

Petit Elefant said...

I imagine it's possible the Cream of Tartar is, in fact, heroin.

Looks addictive even over the interwaves.

Grndma Wheels said...

Thanks Aimee for doing this post. Thanks Mark for fetching the popcorn! Thanks Lee for buying a candy thermometer (the original was nowhere to be found)--but most of all for putting up w/ my controlling, hovering & critical fretting! How do you stand it? Grandma Betty calls you SaintLEE for good reason. I love you all!

Mar aka Grandma Wheels

Lisa said...

My favorite memory of the famous corn was going out to Theater Candy Company to pick up the enormous bag of popcorn. Where can I find popcorn like that now in Seattle?

Oh,Scrap! said...

Highly addictive doesn't even capture it. You can eat the entire bag, still want more, and not even feel guilty about it. My mom made a gigantic batch Sunday and gave each of us a bit to take home.... to give to someone else! It is still taunting me from it's temporary place on my counter.

Eva said...

This was so much fun to make! It may become a family tradition now.

Love you!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP