Chronicles of the Impatient Wife
Friday, June 25, 2010
Since moving into our new place we realized we needed a kitchen table. Scott, being the thrifty guy that he is wanted to find something at the thrift store. I have little patience for thrift stores (quit your judging all you second-hand lovers out there - I can hear your thoughts) so I made my desired requirements bigger than I thought possible for him to find at a thrift store.
Requirements:I wanted internal leaves so I did not have to store leaves anywhere in our smaller space.I did not want bulky legs on the table.I wanted it to be able to sit as many as 8-10 people with leaves out but be able to be compact without the leaves so it wouldn't take up the whole room.It could not be gross and dirty.We both had to really like it.
There was no way he was going to find something I liked and we would then have to go find something perfect and new at a furniture or consignment store. So I thought...
I was wrong. He found us the perfect table at Value Village in Kirkland and with Shan's help got to bring it home the same night. (Thanks again, Shan!)
Exibit A taken on the iPhone:

Non-bulky legs ✓
Internal leaves - pulls out to be a huge table! ✓
Seats lots of peps ✓
Not gross at all ✓
It is beautiful, meets all my picky requirements, only cost $20 and just needs a little love to make it perfect.
Note to self: Don't doubt Scott's thrifting ability.
Note to self: Don't doubt Scott's thrifting ability.
Here is where you come in.
Is it a cardinal sin to paint over wood? Or is sanding and staining a wood table the better way to go? I feel once you paint you can never go back to the lovely wood look but it could be fun to pick a fun color for it? It is a big risk and I am an amateur at these things. So for all you DIY'ers out there. I would love some advice:
Paint or Stain?


15 Comments:
I think it's totally fine to paint wood. Depends on the type of wood, if it's nice cherry or walnut or something you might think twice, but even then if a wood table doesn't fit into your decor then do what you want with it. Also, I've seen lots of wood objects that have been painted restored to their former wood glory (takes work) but you could possibly always go back to the wood later. That's my two cents.
Hey Aimee- My sister in law just painted hers and then put a piece of glass (tempered) on top. It looks awesome, so I'm about to do the same since my kids have thrashed our wood table and they would thrash it again if I re-finished it. good luck!
I love wood furniture...stained AND painted. The right piece in the right color can add such a fantastic touch to a room! You have the right piece, so now choose the right color! I say that you should keep it in wood if you are in love with how that particular piece of furniture looks naked, and can't bear to clothe it.
It depends on the what type of wood it is, in my opinion! If it is a nice one, then stain, cheap paint the sucker!
Oh, paint all the way. That table is begging to be painted some awesome pistachio green or firehouse red. Go for it Aimee! Just distress it a little and then you'll never have to worry about the paint getting worn.
I'm really excited about painting right now, actually. I just got my mom's super ugly piano that somehow survived 7 kids, and my goal this Summer is to paint it some ridiculously funky color. I might even let people help me choose a color on my blog. Oh wait, do I still have a blog?
Go Scott! I love thrifting, but I also totally understand the impatience, which is why since I've had kids I've become a Target junkie. But once all of my kids are in school, I will spend my days discovering every thrift store in the greater Seattle area, mark my words.
Definitely paint.
I love bright colors, and think painting would be super fun. But. . . make sure you do glossy paint if it's going to be your main eating surface, esp with a baby on the way. It's way easier to wipe up on glossy finish than matte.
either way I am demanding before and after pics. Cause I think it's fun!
I love a good thrift find! Even better when you can make it your own with a little ingenuity and paint. I am my mother's daughter so I would definitely say paint it. Depending on the stain/seal it has currently you might need to sand it before you do.
I have no idea about painting or staining (I'm terrible with these types of things), but I can't believe Scott found that for $20!! I'm completely impatient and never thrift-shop because of it. I've gotten a little better about sale-shopping (thanks to unemployment :>), but this story might make a believer out of me. Color me very, very impressed.
:)
Do we get to see any photos of the belly?
PAINT!
When you really think about it, you may have this table for years but by the time you get sick of changing the color of paint you will probably want a new table anyway.
Find a great color and paint away!
Sounds like the votes are all going to painting. I agree!
Grab a $3 can of spray paint from Lowes and go to town. Screw all the wives tales about inhaling fumes while prego. Ronan turned out fine and I've got some rockin' furniture.
it was $20 bucks, if you wanna paint it, then paint it! i love painting things fun colors! it is a cheaper and easier way to add color to a room, that's for sure. Conngrats on the find!
Oh I think you can totally paint it!
I usually like wood that is stained better. But it really does depend on the piece. You can get quite a bit of variety in stain colors, too. But painting is faster/easier.
When Jill makes her own frames she puts on like 3 coats of different colors then sands and distresses the frames so you get a little bit of color coming through.
Post a Comment