Welsh Love Spoon
Monday, August 30, 2010
A few of you that have been over to visit our apartment have asked about the spoon adorning the wall near our front door pictured above. Scott served his mission in England and Wales where according to Welsh folklore, these ornately carved spoons were traditionally made from a single piece of wood by young men as a love token for their sweethearts to show his affection and intentions for his loved one. The earliest surviving example, is dated around 1667, although the tradition probably dates back long before that. Now love spoons are given all over the world as gifts for weddings, engagements, and anniversaries. (Read more of the history here and here.)
When we got married we were given this spoon from Scott's aunt Wilna. I was honored that she passed it down to us. There are many elaborately designed love spoons but I love the simplicity and beauty of ours and now I get to see everyday on my way out the door. I love items that represent a long tradition and history and I especially love that ours was passed down to us from family.
If anyone is traveling over to Great Britain you should definitely find yourself a love spoon to take home with you. If I ever end up getting to go over there I am hoping to handpick out some as my gift to all the currently special little people in my life when they are all grow up and find other people to love too.
When we got married we were given this spoon from Scott's aunt Wilna. I was honored that she passed it down to us. There are many elaborately designed love spoons but I love the simplicity and beauty of ours and now I get to see everyday on my way out the door. I love items that represent a long tradition and history and I especially love that ours was passed down to us from family.
If anyone is traveling over to Great Britain you should definitely find yourself a love spoon to take home with you. If I ever end up getting to go over there I am hoping to handpick out some as my gift to all the currently special little people in my life when they are all grow up and find other people to love too.



3 Comments:
love it! I will have to make a trip over there to get one! :)
It was lovely seeing you on Saturday. You are beautiful and glowing.
Good luck in the days/weeks ahead. Can't wait to meet him/her.
I love that! I love that you are so in tune with history, wonderful things in the world, and folklore.
I seem to remember my parents having one of those in our house too (and my dad went to England as well), though I don't know what ever happened to it. Or maybe it was a big wooden spoon and fork; it seems those were popular for a while in the 70's, along with resin grape clusters and macrame. Can't remember.
But yours is cooler. What a great tradition!
Post a Comment