I Hate Insurance Companies

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tonight I just wanted to take a moment and state how much I hate insurance companies. Trying to figure how we are going to get Scott's knee surgery has been the biggest nightmare of the month of September. Cobra, eligibility, deductibles, contracts, continuous coverage, in-network, out-of-network... blah, blah... It makes me tired with all the effort I have had to put into getting this taken care of (and I haven't even accomplished getting it taken care of yet).

In honor of my troubles I would like to promote Michael Moore's documentary Sicko. If you haven't seen it I would highly suggest making a point to go watch it. I know, I know... some of you probably hate Michael Moore but I really enjoyed the conversation it raises about health care in America. And according to this article, Sicko is now the third highest grossing documentary of all time - so you might as well join the band wagon. Plus, it is just really entertaining. Hey, I like his movies, so shoot me.

7 Comments:

Kristin said...

This was actually a documentary I was really wanting to see...thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I'm one of those people who think Michael Moore is an idiot. I couldn't pass up this opportunity to give you some insight on countries with socialized medicine programs ie:cuba -- which mr. moore admires.

http://therealcuba.com/

if you scroll down and click on some of the pictures, you'll see what some of their medical conditions are. they're right.. i'm pretty sure mr. moore didn't go to these hospitals.

i'm so greatful for modern medicine in america, and despite the hassle of dealing with insurance companies (I agree, it's annoying sometimes)... I can't stand michael moore's money making films.

we pay a lot for medical, for a reason. hey, it's practically free in cuba! but would you want to spend a night on one of those beds?

Aimee said...

anonymous - you're totally justified to have your opinion about Michael Moore and Health Care in America.

It would be a better conversation if I actually knew who you were. I'm open to hear others opinions about things but you don't need to feel you have to hide behind being anonymous. I can handle a friendly debate.

Feel free to email me if you would like to discuss further ...

Lisa H. said...

I believe that health care is a basic human right. In Mr. Moore's film, he admits that the socialized programs in other countries are not perfect and that we need to create a better plan. That said, one of the major differences between the U.S. and Cuba is the amount of money spent on health care. Even Canada, which has a fairly good national health plan, spends much less per capita on health care than the United States. And imagine how good our health care could be if the money were actually going to the people instead of the insurance companies. I would rather have equal care for all than to have great care for the rich and no care for the poor.

Anonymous said...

Aim,
I saw an insurance story on 20/20 last night where John Stosel interviewed Micheal Moore. While there are major flaws in our system here, seeing all the lines in Canada and in Europe make me think that they don't have all the answers either. People in England were pulling out their own teeth because they couldn't get in to see a dentist. I really haven't seen any great solutions to our current national health care crisis. Maybe our former future problem solver can shed some light on this issue.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I would be leery of a story on health care by John Stossel: he is a libertarian who believes that the free market is the solution to every economic problem. He wants to privatize everything, including schools. Michale Moore also has an agenda, so it is important to look past both of their viewpoints to get at the facts. First, an unrestricted private market for health care -like we have now - is not in everybody's best interest; and, second, politicians probably won't change the current system until our votes outweigh the money health care industries give to them.

Dan

Aimee said...

Dan, you are right. It is depressing but your are right.

Lisa my sister, I too watched the 20/20 and felt it very one-sided. Sicko is one-sided too and I understand that but it is really so hard to know what the truth is when people are saying completely different things about the same issue.

I do appreciate the conversation being started more. This is an important issue for our future and my vote for president will have to have this on the front line of him/hers political agenda.

All I know is that something needs to change. I'm not saying National Health Care is the answer but I am saying that the way it is now, it is not working. It needs to move away from employers providing our health insurance and we need to figure out a way for people changing jobs, low-income people and children to have insurance no matter what.

I still stand by my blog that people should go see Sicko at least to hear that bias. It is important to hear both sides.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP