Bursting with Fruit Flavor

Thursday, October 18, 2007

As most of you know, I am a die hard Original Starburst fan. Have been since I was a kid in diapers, was in elementary, junior high and high school, am now, and will be until my dying day. They are, quite possibly, the best candy to capture the flavor of cherry, strawberry, orange and lemon (in that order) in a little bite-sized, mouth-watering mosels. The tropical, berries & cream, baja california B.S. and all those other knock offs could leave the candy isle, never to be missed again.

So the vote. The Starburst Vote on the blog. I want to thank everyone who participated in the voting and am quite disappointed with my silent readers who didn't choose to take part in their one duty of reading my blog seriously. I'll expect more out of you next time. I have purpose behind my polling, people! I need your input.

That being said, I was amused with the results:

Winner of the Most Favorite Original Starburst Flavor Award goes to Strawberry with a whopping 57%. Not a surprise though I was hoping cherry would make a come back at the end since it deserved to win..... (cough, cough)

Loser of the Most Hated Original Starburst Flavor Award, just by a hair, goes to Yellow. Also not a surprise, since it is no secret everyone hates this flavor, especially at the Heffernan house when Yellow is the other flavor left in the bowl and Karen eventually has to throw them out knowing no one will eat them and they will just get hard.

But here is an interesting thing about yellow. Recently my brother-in-law pointed out that even though everyone hates yellow you need to think about the fact that they really, really do a pretty great job with capturing the lemon flavor. Most lemon candy have that artificial flavor that just leaves a weird film on the top of your mouth, ya know? These yellow candies don't do that. He said four simple words: "Give Yellow a Chance". I took him up on his challenge and to my surprise have been enjoying my lemon Starburst experience to a much fuller degree. Now friends, I ask you too: Give Yellow a Chance. You may be surprised with what your palette has to tell you. When Scott gives me a hard time about eating yellow I just tell him to go to giveyellowachance.com and he leaves me alone. This website doesn't exist. But I like to say it and I think it should be created.

Thank you Mars Candy for your ever-refreshing, chewy, square-shaped, right on the spot fruit-flavored candy.

You will always have a place on my love handles.


5 Comments:

annie j said...

Strawberry! (even tho I don't like candy)...

Lisa said...

I have a lot to say about starburst, but I'll try to be brief. They are a candy of choice in our family. So most of my whole life lemon always came in last. Is this because everyone just says lemon is the worst so I grew up thinking this? Anyway, my husband did the same thing with yellow and it has won the number 1/2 spot with red/cherry. Seriously, giveyellowachance.com.

Lisa said...

Sorry, one more word on Starburst. Just this year I looked at the fat grams for starburst, and lets just say I am a little more careful about poping those babies one after another!

camihubrich said...

Aimee, get ready to live...have you ever had a "roasted" starburst? You roast it over the campfire like a mallo and it is SO GOOD! You wait until it's dripping into the fire and then enjoy. We just went to Powell and had a beach fire and I was so so bummed that we didn't have any starbursts.

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

Well my friend once told me I was a good person to have around because I like all the gross flavors that she didn't. I go back and forth between which one is my favorite, orange or yellow. Most of the time...yellow wins!!! I really do love it!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP