School Vs. Work: The Internal Battle

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

As many of you know, I am totally smitten with my education right now. I love that I am learning something so specific to what interest me (family relationships, couple dynamics, systems etc). I am energized by most of my classes and overall, I am so happy that I am back in school. And I for sure know that I have picked the right school, which is super important to me. I am in really good hands at SPU.

But....

As Scott is currently proof reading my first big research paper I am reminded the intensity of writing papers! Specifically, research papers. (Lets face it. Its been 3 years since I was in school.) I was driving home from class last night at 8:30 pm and had this nagging feeling that I still had 6-8 pages to write before Wednesday and it was absolutely the last thing I wanted to do. Absolutely. There is nothing that can motivate me more to do all the little things I need to do in my personal life than when I have to actually write a paper. My personal to-do list is complete; my paper is just getting done. The art of procrastination, eh!?

This nagging feeling led me to remember the non-nagging feeling I had after work. The wonderful, glorious feeling of the end of the day. Clocking out. Hours ahead of you to do whatever you please. Read a book, if you want to read a book (non-text book, of course). Catch up on your DVR recordings, if you so wish. Movie, anyone? A friendly game of Pictionary; why not? Ah, guilt-free, free time.... {sigh}

Deep in my heart, I know that I can't enjoy one without the other and that the grass is always greener on the other side, right? So, I am just trying to enjoy every word I type and every journal article I read because I know someday I will be working full-time, doing something I love. Doesn't get any better than that, right?!...

Cheers to school... and work...and Bill Lumbergh.

5 Comments:

hannah said...

Enjoy every minute!!!
Two years will fly by!!
However, always have time for a friendly game of pictionary!!

Kristin said...

I completely relate Aim. When I was in school I would dread some of the assignments we had or rather the timing of them or simply the inconvenience of the. But now, being in the field, I really wish I could go back and throw myself into a good topic to research, write about and share with the class. It's grass fantasies :)

The Koger's said...

I know that nagging feeling. I hat knowing that as soon as I get home from school or work I have Math homework or a Biology test to study for. I too miss the free nights that were before I went back to school.

jamie said...

reading your blog made me want to go back to school....jamison just needs to get his arse through first.

Anonymous said...

Amazing what we can accomplish when we have a paper due. It's 3 a.m. right now and I am fixing my old computer. Midterms on Monday, paper on Wednesday - what else can I find to do before then?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP