'Tis the Season

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Its October... and what does it mean for the Heffernans? Scary movies. If you grew up with me you know that I loved scary movies when I was in elementary school. Specifically, scary movies about supernatural phenomena. And if you know Scott, you know that he loves the "spooked" feeling he gets when people talk about ghost/supernatural/mysterious stories. He is always trying to encourage spooky talk which is sometimes fun and sometimes no fun for me if the timing isn't right. Like for example, when we have to walk back to the car from a condo in Park City and then drive down the canyon after telling really scary stories and freaking ourselves out. A few months ago he even walked through an old cemetery with no light or flashlights just to get "spooked". So, the other day we were sitting at an appointment at Evergreen Hospital (since we pretty much live there now with his knee surgery and blood clot) and were discussing how Halloween and Christmas are the only two seasons that have a real spirit to the whole month. (With the exception of July if you live in Utah due to the dual national/state holiday). But for the most part there is a distinct Halloween spirit that lasts the whole month of October and there is a distinct Christmas spirit the whole month of December. We concluded that we love this Halloween spirit even though we don't particularly love the actual day of Halloween. Know what I mean? Anyway, we were basking in the Halloween spirit sitting there waiting for them to call Scott's name.

So now its 2:48 am and we (Meghan, Ryan, Scott, David and I) just got finished watching 28 Weeks Later and if any of you have seen these movies you can understand why I feel a bit restless and am having trouble committing myself to get up and put myself to sleep for the fear of infection (of course). Needless to say, it did the job of spooking me tonight on this Fall night in October.

Then this spooked feeling got me thinking about one of my all time favorite childhood scary movies. Now, most of you probably don't remember this movie or may have missed this in your youth but thanks to the Hathaway girls (here and here) this didn't miss our little homes on Glenmare Street. Believe it or not this is a Disney movie called Watcher in the Woods. It was really, really scary. Ring a bell anyone? All I can say is that Disney doesn't make movies like this anymore because they haunt little kids forever. Scott had never seen it so we watched it last year and he too, gave it the Halloween spirit freaky thumbs up. I was relieved because part of me thought it was just my impressible youthful mind that remembered the fear it brought to me but, no, it really is just pretty scary. I will never name a kid Karen. Nerak......

I guess the point of this post is that in this wee hour of the morning I wanted to wish you a Happy October and hope you get spooked at least once or twice during the spirit of this month....and....watch your back.

5 Comments:

Lisa H. said...

Aimee - Watcher in the Woods ruined my life forever! I'm still haunted by it to this day. I refuse to watch scary movies anymore - they just freak me out way too much.

Anonymous said...

oh my heck. i watched watcher in the woods again in college and it STILL freaked me out! NAREK! oooohhhh. so scary, i've never been the same with mirrors. i'm so glad we were able to partake of fabulous movies together!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that whole writing "Nerak" in the window steam by that creepy little girl is super scary to the max! I remember seeing some of the most scary movies at the White house - Troll, Fortress (I'm on a mission to find that little HBO traysure), etc.
Ok, for this Halloween you guys need to rent the old The Haunting! It will knock your socks off. It's the scariest movie I've EVER seen!

jamie said...

oh my gosh! i had totally forgotten about watcher in the woods!! i loved/feared that movie. jamison and i are for sure going to have to rent it this oct. i dont think he has ever seen it, which is wierd being scary movies are his favorite thing in the universe.

ali said...

I love October, so thank you for the well wishes. Another scary movie from my youth? Flowers in the Attic. Creepy and weird and kind of good.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP