Transitions

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Hello strangers. Miss me?

My theme this week for a multiple of reasons has been looking at transitions in my life and lives of others around me. One of my professors talked about how transitional phases have such an interesting mix of joy and sorrow for people. I found this to be totally true in my life even now as I have transitioned out of full-time work, close network of friends, whatever-I-want-read reading schedule into being a full-time student again, living in a place I've spent years away from and not having a solid network yet, having to read and read and read text books and balancing life with school (and my blog!). There are elements of this transition that produce mounds of joy for me and other parts that make me sad that time passes so quickly from one transition to another. Either way, I have been thinking about it a ton this week and it reminded me of one of my favorite passages from The Prophet. These words sum up so articulately and visually how I feel about the cycle of happiness and sorrow and how they are a reciprocal relationship in my own life. Helps me keep perspective....

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater." But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed. Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy. Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced. When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

2 Comments:

Lisa said...

Beautiful quote! I have often thought this same thing, but would never be able to say it so well.

Kristin said...

What a great quote Aim and it goes right along with your post. Transitions are very exciting and sad...and fortunately we can have all those emotions at once and not have to choose between just one side of the experience. What's this book about, it seems like it could possibly be up my ally.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP