And Dance by the Light of the Moon...
Monday, December 24, 2007
Does life get any better than this?:
Christmas Eve Events
- Mid-Day Movie (Charlie Wilson's War)
- Christmas Eve dinner with the family
- Menu
- My favorite homemade waffles for dinner
- Baked Ham
- Frothy orange juice
- Oh my!
- Gift exchange with the absolutely coolest husband in the world. (I was spoiled!)
- Watching my nephew happily run around in his new spiderman slippers & Goofy pajamas
- Watching It's a Wonderful Life with my three favorite men (Lee, Scott - 1st time watcher & Dave)
- Just relaxing and enjoying the Christmas spirit
- I have always loved Christmas Eve more than Christmas Day. I thrive on anticipation and Christmas Eve is the epitome of childhood anticipation. Something magical happened on Christmas Eve when I was a child. We would go to my Grandma White's house for a big family party and when we arrived home my house on Glenmare Street in Sugarhouse always had this distinct Christmas Eve smell. It was the strangest thing because it never smelled exactly the same way except for when we returned home from my Grandmas on Christmas Eve. I began to anticipate the smell every time we would come home from Bountiful. When I was 12 we moved to a new house at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon and that first Christmas Eve we drove home and it didn't smell the same way as our old house. I think that night marked the end of my childhood. Christmas Day was always so anticlimactic to me in my youth so I've ended up loving Christmas Eve so much more. Anticipation thrills me to no end. It is usually better than the real thing. Usually.
- Mary Bailey (aka Donna Reed) is my hero. She defines beauty, femininity, and unconditional love. She loves George even when he is being a big meanie. If I could, I would take her on as our second wife. Her face is so fresh and clean and those eyebrows - ahhhh, I covet them! I need to try and be more like Mary Bailey.
- The pure pleasure of realizing I still have 2 weeks before school starts! I'll get to read some of the books I got under the tree before the text books kick in again!
- How has yet another Christmas come and gone?


4 Comments:
You always beat us to the movies. We just saw Juno and have Charlie Wilson's War on the list too. We'll have to compare notes.
We should do dinner together pre-bunco sometime. I just had my friend join bunco which should be real fun. Anyways your childhood sounds much more aromatic than mine. Is it too late to be jealous?
I love Christmas Eve too. And you have taught me a lot about anticipation! I don't remember that smell...sad. I love our childhood memories.
I've been thinking a lot about your Mary Bailey part of the post. I don't usually think of her as much when I think of this movie. I just saw the last 15 minutes of the movie this year, but was also touched by her unconditional love. She is a real hero in this story. Going out to rally the town for your husband takes real courage. Thanks Mary!
Also, for me it wasn't so much the smell (which was different)but it was the lighting change on Christmas Eve. I think when we would come home from the White Family Christmas party everything would sparkle a little more. I still feel that way on Christmas Eve.
Post a Comment