Movies & Wheelchairs: Aimee's Rant

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Because my mom is in a wheelchair I see the world through different eyes. Any handicap road blocks are more evident to me now having to help navigate my mom through a store, mall or crowd of people. So I need to rant for a bit about the world of wheelchairs and maybe enlighten my readers on how they can be more conscious of people in wheelchairs in their community (I'm not saying you aren't enlightened but just wanted to put it out there!).

Since living back at home I have had the opportunity to join my parents on occasion in their Saturday ritual of going to the movies. In the last decade, movie theaters have become more equip with wheelchair seating. The front row usually has open spaces for wheelchairs with a few seats next to them for their family. Lately, it seems that every time we go to a movie, NON-wheelchair family people are seating in those family seats. So my mom pulls up in a wheelchair space (because that is the only space she can fit in) and we go sit somewhere else because people are in the seats next to her. There are plenty of seats in the theater on a Saturday afternoon but we have to separate which completely defeats the purpose of going to a movie to spend time together while being entertained by Hollywood because people are in "our" seats.

On top of the separation, it also complicates the popcorn/drink/snacks situation. My dad will have to pour her a napkin full of popcorn before finding his seat. A lap full of popcorn when you know a whole bucket is just 3 rows up?! That is torture in its ultimate form.

The Moral of my Rant: Do the world a favor and don't sit in the front row in the theater unless there is no other seats in the house! Or if you are sitting in the front row and see a family with someone in a wheelchair - move! Let them enjoy their family time together on the same row.

Thanks for listening.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

WORD!!!! and please don't park in handicapped stalls if you are not handicapped. Get some freakin exercise! Marni

melanie said...

Amen sister. Couldn't have said it better myself. Love the blog btw.

Shannon said...

Yes, I agree about the movie seats and the parking spaces. While we're at it...how can some bathrooms be considered handicap accesible when they are sooo small in the stalls!

Lisa said...

Thank you! I've noticed this as well when I'm pushing a stoller around. I've found bad access in a lot of places. Only in a stoller you can take a baby out and fold up the stoller if need be. Not so easy with a wheelchair.

Bridget said...

Places to go: I love the new bathrooms in the food court at the Alderwood Mall. Each stall is huge and equipped with not only plenty of space, but also a toddler seat so that you can strap your little one in. It's embarrassing when your kid is looking under the wall into the stall next to you while you are caught with your pants down.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP