Top 3 Favorite Reads in '07

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Numero Uno:
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
In April, The Glass Castle was the-best-book-I-had-read-so-far this year and it remained in the top spot through the end December. I don't know what it was about this book but I was totally smitten with the story. I am a sucker for memoirs and this one got me right in the heart. The author had an interesting childhood to say the least. The book was imaginative, heart-felt and written with little, to no bitterness which I found absolutely amazing.

The Glass Castle has all the elements of my definition of a "great read".

Numero Dos:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
I can't really explain the feelings I had opening up the crisp, new, seventh and last Harry book and realizing this would be the final time I would be opening up a new book in this wonderful, beautiful series. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend. I am not alone, as most Harry Potter readers know it was quite an emotional ride to live through 7 years of Harry's life and watch him grow and see the good develop inside him which was always there to begin with. JK didn't disappoint in wrapping it all up and should be proud of the levels in which this series evolved. It blew me away with how everything came together. Themes of friendship, love, greed, loneliness, grief, revenge, honesty, courage, anger, and good vs. evil will live on for years in this golden piece of literature. It makes me a happy person to know that these characters exist in the imagination of many children and adults alike in the world. I hated to say goodbye but parting was such sweet sorrow.

And Finally:
Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli
I just finished this book this week and it came strongly recommended from a good friend, Kaylene, who is in my graduate program. She even used this as her symbol for our retreat so that just tells you how much she really loves this book! And... it was truly fantastic. It is a young adult novel about conformity, popularity and being yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else. It isn't hard to identify with many characters in this book. Though they seem simple on the surface, I think each character has a deep moral message to bring to the greater theme of the book. Stargirl is my new hero. I wish I could be as unaffected about what people think about me while at the same time showing unconditional love and acceptance for everyone around me. This book is great for the young and the old. We all have a lot to learn from this story.... well at least I do! Thanks Kaylene, for insisting I read this simple, little, deep book!

Runner Up 1:
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Has all the makings of a classic. The main character loves to read and the author describes the love of reading in the most romantic, beautifully written manner.






Runner Up 2:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Couldn't put this down. I was obsessed with the circus story. Truly hypnotizing and intriguing. I learned so much about the circus and The Depression. Packed with history and an interesting storyline to boot.

* Please note it's rated "Use Your Discretion" for swears and some sex.



Books I Wish I Didn't Read This Year:

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber - yes, I read all 895 pages of that thick ass book to be completely angry with the anti-climatic ending.
Twilight & New Moon by Stephanie Meyer - sorry everyone! I may be the only person in the world that thought these books were SO average and over-rated. Thought it was fun at first but once I really thought about how long, drawn out and cheesy they were I just couldn't bear the thought of reading the third so I read all about it on Wikipedia. Oh, the joy of cheating! She could say the same thing in 200 pages. Plus, I hate vampire stories. Even love ones.

8 Comments:

naptime nostalgia said...

Aimee-
I agree whole heartedly with your three picks. I loved The Glass Castle, although a bit deep, no light reading there. I have to admit, I think I'm the only person left who hasn't read Harry Potter. But I'm thinking I might read them while I'm in Puerto Rico this Spring. And lastly, but not leastly, I LOVED Stargirl. I read it when I was a teenager and it was so fitting then, and now. One of my favorite books ever.

I have to admit, I tried to read Water for Elephants, and couldn't get through it. A bit to, um whats the word here, um, wierd, and offending? And I have to say I LOVED Twilight and New Moon, as well as Eclipse but I am a sucker for a love story.

What a fun post Aimee. I love all things "count-downish", and "favorites of" in years.

Lacey Jane said...

What a good idea for a count-down list! I appreciate your picks. Some of which I have yet to read but have been meaning to. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

I agree about The Glass Castle. I read it and really liked it. Hard to believe she had such a good attitude. I want to try reading this Star Girl you are talking about. It sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion. I Loved New Moon and Eclipse, but am such a sucker for #1 a love story and #2 a vampire story. I'm a vamp junkie.
I always love your posts. They are so interesting. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Shannon said...

I too love this favorites book blog entry! Although while I was looking for Gone With The Wind, why didn't you just say in the meantime read Stargirl. It looks great. I'll put it in my "too read" section of good reads.
Also you say: "Stargirl is my new hero. I wish I could be as unaffected about what people think about me while at the same time showing unconditional love and acceptance for everyone around me."
You of all people I know are Stargirl, all the qualities you mentioned that she has that you want, you already do have!
Love You!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on Twilight. I thought it was kinda fun until I really thought about... then I was over it. I didn't even get to the other two. I still need to read Glass Castle with a vengeance!!

Tina said...

Wow, what great reviews! I am definitely putting The Glass Castle on my 'must read' list... I haven't read it before! For shame, I know. I'll have to refer back to this post for some more good reading material down the road.
-Tina
tatteredtoo 'at' yahoo.com

Lisa said...

Great picks Aim! I loved all your favorites from last year. I haven't read Stargirl so I'll put it on my list. I think it would be hard to rate them like you did, I won't even try to sort it out, it's like picking a favorite kid. They are all so different and wonderful in their own way.

ScottHeff said...

My top 3 that I read this year are:
1) 1984
2) Ender's Game
3) Love You Forever (just kidding - to see my real thoughts on this book click here.)

My real number 3) is Freakonomics.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP