The City Vs. The Suburbs

Monday, January 28, 2008


Today's Guest Rambler: Dan Hadley
Relation to Aimee: One of my husband's oldest and dearest friends and now my friend too.
Occupation: Professional Student, Master of Theology, and soon-to-be Urban Planner.
Notes from Aimee: I am honored to have Dan today. I have been hoping to share his wisdom, thoughts and humor with all of us. Please give him your love by sharing your comments.

* * *
Let me first say that it's an honor to guest ramble here. Thanks Aimee. I'm writing this the way you used to - secretly at work.

My question for the Aimee bloggernacle is this: Is it better to live in the city or the suburbs? I know that’s sort of like asking which bear is the best, and that most people choose where to live based on jobs, friends and family, but it’s still an important question.

During my adult life I have gone back and forth. I moved from Cottonwood Heights, Utah (a location abutting, but not actually part of Sandy, the world's worst suburb) to Los Angeles and back again. Next, I went on a mission to Rome and then returned to Sandy … er ... Cottonwood Heights. I am currently writing this from Cambridge where Lisa and I have been for the last year and a half. We love it here, but we also feel the pull of the suburbs, especially now that we are thinking of having kids.

The way I see it, the city is kind of like Johnny Castle, the rebellious heartthrob from the 1987 smash hit "Dirty Dancing," with whom everyone wants to dance, but only a few can tame (in the movie, it's "Baby” who reaches Castle with her honesty and integrity). Downtown is unpredictable, trendy, exciting and sexy, much like Swayze's character. The city is the guy you would date but never marry.

The suburbs are a bit duller. You go to suburbia to settle down and have kids. The only time people use newfangled, erotic dance moves is at night, after the legitimate establishments have closed down. It’s safe and comfortable in the suburbs. It’s more like Neil Kellerman, the overbearing but well-to-do suitor who competes with Johnny Castle for Baby’s affection.

Suburbia is affordable. Places like Portland and San Francisco are astronomically expensive. School districts in those cities have been closing because so many families have left for the suburbs.

Still, I don’t think the suburbs will remain affordable forever. Due to the rising cost of oil, denser neighborhoods with connections to public transportation – Transit Oriented Development or TODs in New Urbanist parlance - will become much more popular and affordable than conventional suburbs. The city will cost less to live in than the suburbs because you won’t need to drive as much (not to mention the positive impact on the environment).

Maybe when that happens, Johnny Castle will finally be able to get out of that crappy little resort town and freak dance with some city girls.

12 Comments:

hannah said...

Great Ramble Dan!!
Don't worry too much Dan - we have been looking for property to place our 2 little wee houses on!!!

jamie said...

i must say, i very much enjoyed this guest ramble. i always new how deep and meaningful dirty dancing was, but dan has made me see it in a whole new light. i am going to have jamison read this. he has been trying to master the pelvic thrust while bouncing forward johnny move.

Aimee said...

I never thought about the city/suburb debate relating to Dirty Dancing but I love the idea.

I go back and forth with city and suburb living. In DC I was in heaven because the public transportation is fantastic and I can get to where I need to be while still living in the city. I like the idea of city living but when I think long term I like the idea of quietness and parking. I like easy parking and sometimes the city doesn't allow for this. But I guess if I lived in a city with better transportation than seattle i wouldn't worry about a car.

Either way, I hope you get into UW and solve all the urban planning problems in our world.

Thanks for your blog today!!

Bridget said...

Ha ha ha. We do all of our dirty dancing in the suburbs so that we don't miss the city.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again, Amy.

Dirty Dancing lends itself to all kinds of comparisons and analyses. If you let me guest ramble again I will give a Jungian reading of the final scene and a Freudian reading of Baby's relationship to her father.

Jamie,
Sorry to hear J never learned the pelvic thrust/bounce forward. That's an important one.

Shannon said...

Great Guest Rambler! Good topic. I never really thought of it, but it is so true the city is someone you would date but never marry :) Good thought!

Lisa said...

I love my Suburb! Is it because I am the mom of three kids under 7, probably. I really like close parks, libraries and schools. It is huge for me to be close to the city though. We are about 15 minutes (no traffic) outside of Seattle and I love being so close to all the action.

Aimee said...

Dan, one issue I have with the suburbs is the lack of creativity in the homes. I hate the cookie cutter thing going on nowadays.

Can't they come up with something more personal?

The suburban sprawl issue frightens me.

ScottHeff said...

I have mixed feelings about Neil Kellerman...I mean the suburbs. I think what's important is being close to a freeway entrance. If you can get into the city in 15 or 20 minutes then that's all I need. I do have a question: Where would Patrick Swayze's characther from Donnie Darko (motivational speaker, Jim Cunningham) fit into this analogy?

P.S. Bert & Ernie are not homosexuals.

Lisa H. said...

I guess my biggest issue with suburbs is the impacts they have on the environment. Humans seem to have a natural tendency to spread out, but this has all kinds of negative effects in terms of transportation/emissions and destruction of natural habitats. I also agree with Aimee that the cookie cutter houses are UGLY. We need to come up with some new solutions - Aimee's sister is right that suburban living is a huge draw for families with kids.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the lack of architectural variety is big problem for me too. Some New Urbanists have tried to address this, but it seems that older neighborhoods and cities have a clear advantage in terms of architectural variety.

Lisa and Scott both hit on a key point: why can't you have both? Why not live with Neil in the suburbs but keep an urban paramour 15 minutes away? Although I agree that would be ideal, isn't it sort of like cheating? You get the great urban amenities, but you still contribute to the environmental problems that suburban development generates (as Lisa H mentioned).

Scott,
I didn't know Swayze was in Donnie Darko. I'm really going to have to see that now. Hopefully I will be able to respond to your question afterwards.

Oh, and about B&H: grow up. Of course they were.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP