The Kite Runner
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Has anyone else seen The Kite Runner? We went yesterday and it was one of my favorite movies of the year. I have not been able to stop thinking about it. I read the book about 3 years ago and the movie was just as moving as the book. I always get so nervous about seeing a movie developed from a book I love (already getting nervous for The Time Traveler's Wife), but this movie did not disappoint.
Actually, one thing about the book that was difficult while reading was that I could not relate to the story since it was so foreign to my life in America. I had a hard time picturing the Afghani culture, homes, food and scenery since I had never been there, but the movie brought all of that to life in a visually beautiful way. It made the story so much more real to me.
Through reading this book I felt like I had a quarter class on the history of Afghanistan. I hate how our society has painted an ugly picture of who the non-Taliban Afghani people really are. There is a stereotype that I do not feel is accurate. This book/movie really changed my perspective. Everyone should try and read/see it someday.
My heart was so heavy watching the story. There is so much tragedy in the world. I wish there was some way to protect all the children out there from having tragic things happen to them.
Final Thoughts: Heart-breaking movie but well worth the viewing.


7 Comments:
Aimee, I haven't seen it yet, but I keep seeing previews and it looks really good. I'll probably wait until it comes out on Netflix.
I have so many movies that I need to see and this is one of them. I also get nervous when I book I like is put on screen but like you, I am really excited to "see" Afghanistan. Because really, I have no idea. Happy New Year also to you and your hubby.
I loved the book and can't wait to see the movie!! I also really enjoyed your 2007 in a nutshell. I felt honored that my little Izzy made the list. I hope your 2008 is as fabulous as 2007.We sure do miss you guys!! Happy New Year!
Aimee, Loved the book, loved the movie....so rare to see a story so well done! xoxoxo Marni
I loved the book and can't wait to see the movie! Thanks for the review.
Amen Sista!
I'm glad to read your review. I also read the book a few years ago and loved it. I'm curious to know whether or not my vision of Afganistan from my imaginations is the similar to real life.
Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns? That's on my list...but I haven't read anything in a while.
Post a Comment