We're All in This Together
Sunday, January 13, 2008
This has been one of my favorite songs since Scott put it on a playlist for me when we first started dating (ahh...good times...isn't the dating stage so magical?! It creates such a great base for the future together.). Anyway, the song is a bit melancholy and I love the banjo in it. I guess I am in a more contemplative mood as I finish up a paper about my perspective on relationships. Or maybe a better word is thankful. I have some powerful relationship systems in my life that have blessed me in many ways and my heart is full in reflecting on them.
Last quarter I had the most amazing class on the Family Life Cycle. Honestly every lecture just blew me away. I would leave overflowing with knowledge about therapy and couples and life changes. It was basically a deep study on each phase of a typical person's life (i.e. single adult, couplehood, couple with children, couple with adolescent, later life etc) and the transitions that exist in these stages. My very wise professor (I want to be like her when I grow up) said something that has since stuck with me. She stated, "there is something to be said for having someone know you throughout your life."
As I think about the people that have known me for the majority of my 28 years I can truly see what she means. I enjoy seeing people that knew me when I was a little girl. There is something vulnerable in seeing the "little me" in their eyes. You can't really fake being cool with them because they remember when you did stupid things (like threatening to leave their house when you couldn't be first player on Mario Brothers, for example). Adults that knew you when you were little have the added benefit of memory and there is something sacred about them remembering the "you" that you can't even remember.
Please view the "little me" in the red dress holding hands with my cousin Brynn in the blue dress who was the source of all good things related to imagination throughout my youth. Also note Lee without a mustache. I think this is the one year in all my 28 years that he had a hairless lip.
Community is so important in our lives. Maybe this song just reminds me of community in a weird way. Or possibly, what it means to be a good friend which is essentially community, right? Or maybe I have been writing a paper for much too long. Probably all of the above.
Well my friend, well I see your face so clearly
Little bit tired, little bit worn through the years
You sound nervous, you seem lonely
I hardly recognize your voice on the telephone
In between I remember
Just before we wound up broken down
Drive out to the edge of the highway
Follow that lonesome dead-end roadside sound
Chorus:
We’re all in this thing together
Walkin’ the line between faith and fear
This life don’t last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
Well my friend, let’s put this thing together
And walk the path that worn out feet have trod
If you wanted we can go home forever
Give up your jaded ways, spell your name to God
(Chorus)
All we are is a picture in a mirror
Fancy shoes to grace our feet
All that there is is a slow road to freedom
Heaven above and the devil beneath
(Chorus)


6 Comments:
It's so true Aim. Cami and I have been friends since we were six. She's been there through it all. I love that fact she is one person, besides my family, that experienced the stories not just heard about them. It's also refreshing to have the person that understands the context of the way you are...knowing where certain habits have come from, certain quarks, etc. She also knows if I'm in a phase or if something is just me and isn't changing. I'm glad you're loving your schooling! You're going to be one stellar therapist when you're done.
This tops one of my favorite blog entries that you have done. Obviously, because it hits so close to home! That really hit me what your prof. said having someone know you throughout your whole life, family! I haven't got a chance to listen to the song yet, but just your words made me cry! Sisters. Sisters. Forever :)
Aimers, I do remember...and memories so sweet I cry. I agree with Shan...this is one of my favorites! Annie
Word. Remember when that was what everyone used to say, if you agreed with them?
Well I say word to this post.
Word to the awesomeness of the dating stage, and word to the thoughts about good friends, community and relationships. Good people, good friends, and good family are what makes life worth living.
Loved the song. Love your blog.
who sings it?
Lisa, Old Crow Medicine Show sings it.
Post a Comment