20 Years with MS

Friday, February 29, 2008

February 5th marked the 20th anniversary of my mom's diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. I started writing a letter to MS a day or so before and wanted to finish it before this month ended as part of my ritual of this time marker in our lives. So its 1:41 in the morning and I am finally done. I am hoping that other family members write their letters too so we can make it a family experience together (hint, hint).

It is a very raw, unedited letter that I should probably just keep to the memory of my hard drive but then I thought, "hell, why not!?" I don't have anything to hide.

If you care to get into the workings of my psyche click here. Again, please no judgments as this is very personal stuff I'm sharing.

13 Comments:

Sunshine Promises said...

Aim,

Thank you for sharing your raw emotion and feelings on this monumental day. I still remember a talk you gave at a kibbutz on the Sea of Galilee. I was amazed at your strength, courage and love then as I am now. We all go through voyages of our own with "anniversaries" that we'd rather not celebrate. You and your family are in my heart and prayers today.

Shannon said...

Loved your Dear MS. Mine is on my "to do" list...
loved the until then signing off with a double bird :)!!!

Alicen said...

Hi Aimee, it's Lisa's friend, Alicen again. I just had to comment on your letter. How incredibly cathartic. My mother has an illness too that I would love to give the "double bird" to. Thank you for sharing your letter, even with me, someone you've never even met. I can tell you are such a strong person with so much passion for life. I think I will be writing one of these letters to a different, yet similarly destructive illness in my family.

And have fun in Boston, I'm jealous!

Lisa H. said...

Aimee,

Thanks so much for sharing your letter. It had so much personality and life in it, and at the same time it was so incredibly poignant.

Here's another double bird from me for this horrible illness...

Can't wait to see you in Beantown in 2 weeks!

Lisa

Bridget said...

I'm laughing and crying and will forward it on to Brett. I'm sure he'll have a double bird to send MS in the next 20 years...we're hoping that new medicines will help his wife to not have to go through some of the stuff you're family went through and still goes through.

alisha said...

I can't imagine how difficult this has been for your family, especially because it wasn't a one-time event but spread out through the years. How true that you all have MS, not just your mom. And how great of your dad for staying by her side, and your family for being strong as well. I also loved your "double bird."

Brianne said...

Aimee,
I loved it! I actually thought the double bird was too friendly! I wonder what Marilyn's letter would say. If she ever writes one please post it. I think I will start a collection of letters to the 6th member of my family. Thanks for the idea. :) Thanks for being vulnerable.

Anonymous said...

As I begin this it is 1:36 AM.At midnight I returned from an evening with Kash, Russ, their son Paul, and my precious brother Dick and his precious wife Janice.We had picked up the Orem Cracrofts, spent time at The White House, had dinner at The Pagoda, went to Kingsbury Hall to see The Spelling Bee. I was tired and ready for bed, having attended Andrea's Hank's baptism and brunch earlier. I checked my
e-mail.
You dear,most wondrous of torn but beautifully held together with love children have left me drained and aching with a strangely beautiful pain.
Just see what this bastard sibling has made of you.This sexless beast has made you madder than hell but you have not killed one another, or your mother, and are each alive in the most beautiful manner ever seen by this old lady---who has seen and seen through many lives.
Thank you for sharing these sacred writings.You have blessed me as I have not been blessed for
many a year.I pray each of you
has found a means of lying down with this Lion in your father's Garden of Eden.
Grandma

Kristin said...

Ok 1? Your Grandma seems pretty cool. 2 your letter gave me chills because not having MS be a "sibling" or a "friend"I don't have the experience and/or perspective. Thanks for giving me a small amount of insight into that world and your world.

Aimee said...

Thanks for all the nice words everyone. Thank you so much for taking the time to read these letters. I means a lot.

matt, bekah, jax said...

What a wonderful gift to share -- the deepest of insights into this illness so intertwined into the fabric of your family.

Like many of you commented in your letters, you are blessed with a strength, love and perseverance especially unique to the White Family. This energy has been there since I first met your family and I imagine it has only gotten stronger with time.

My heart goes out to you Aimee, your mom, and your wonderful family. I can't begin to imagine the patience and understanding that you must face everyday. I do know, however, you are amazing person in spite of MS (I would never wish this illness on to any family) but also because of this.

Kat said...

Wow. That touched me so deeply. You wrote with such clarity and I don't know what to say except a profound thank you for not confining that to your hard drive. You're wonderful, you know that? :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP