Allergic to my Marriage?
Sunday, March 30, 2008
At the beginning of the year I started to get this crazy rash on my ring finger. It was red and itchy and there were these little rash bubbles where the holes that hold my diamond sit on my finger. It was awful. I was trying to ignore the rash and just kept wearing my ring which eventually made it worse and worse. I almost blogged about it to try and see if any of you knew what could be the problem.
A few people started telling me that I had probably become allergic to my ring. I was so confused being that I had worn it for a year and a half and had no trouble at all. This was the worst news I had ever heard in my life!!!! I love my ring. I had designed it based on the Kaitlyn Chipman Collection (thank you forever Kaitlyn!). I was super sad thinking that I may not be able to wear my ring again. Had I really become allergic? What does this mean for my marriage? I started joking with people that I had become allergic to marriage.
So for 3 months I didn't wear my ring in hopes that the rash would just go away. My friend Caley from school gave my ring a fancy little cleaning and told me I hadn't become allergic but given myself a bacteria. My dermatologist confirmed this and told me to use my eczema lotion 2x a day for a week and it would clear up my rash. She asked me if my ring was wide, which I answered yes, and she basically said we get rashes because we don't dry our hands enough and the moisture creates the bacteria. On wide rings this happens more often. Yuck, right?
So ladies and gentlemen... the rash is gone and I am happy to tell you that I am not in fact allergic to Scott or our marriage! My ring is back on my finger.
Note for people with wide rings: Dry off your ring finger real good before putting your ring back on or you will face my rash fate and you will hate your existence.


3 Comments:
Sick, bacteria face.
jk to the max. When I get stressed out and I don't sleep I break out into hives all over my body. Everywhere except my face. I'd rather have a moldy ring than have itchy red dots all over my jigglys.
TMI?
Thanks for the info, this has happened to both me and my sister-in-law, we should all have to pay a portion of your dermatologist bill, let me know when you figure how much it is.
P.S. I love your blog. You have great taste in everything including friends
Hi Aimee,
This has happened to me before, too, and with narrow rings or even nothing rubbing it or trapping moisture. I have had bouts with eczema my entire life. Once one of my pinkies got so many little bubbles all over it that it cracked and swelled up to twice its normal size. Then it took months to get it to heal. Honestly, eczema medicines can get pretty pricy. They all work...for about a week or two and then you need a new one. When I started treating my wounds like a wound then they'd heal. That means pop on some neosporin and a bandaid for a day or two and then air the thing out. Works like a charm :)
Bridget
Post a Comment