A Thousand Splendid Stories
Monday, March 24, 2008
I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns in the wee hours of the morning. Hands down the best book I have read this year. It had themes of forgiveness, friendship, family, and love that are all relevant on a personal, familial and global level. I was drawn in from the beginning when I started reading it on the plane to Boston and was taken by the story until the bittersweet end in my comfy bed with Scott sleeping next to me. I cried and cried the last hour of reading. The story broken my heart over and over again. It is such a beautifully sad and hopeful story.
I think it is important to read stories that give us a clearer picture of what is happening in Afghanistan and the surrounding territories. I am constantly educated by Khaled Hosseini's accounts of happenings in his home country.
The whole book was just so beautifully written - deep with metaphor and character development. I am so pleased to have the opportunity to read books as brilliant as this one. Books that move me like this make me so happy and I am thankful that we have many many books to tell us stories of the world. I LOVE TO READ!
Verdict: I liked this one better than The Kite Runner. Readers, what about you? Thousand or Kite Runner?


7 Comments:
Loved The Kite Runner, but have been a little hesitant to read this book for some reason. Now after you rave review, I think I'm going to have to take the plunge.
Thanks for the recomendation!
I also really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put Kite Runner down, but the thing I really liked about A Thousand Suns was that it was from a women's point of view. It educated me tremendously. So, I can't say which book I liked better... but, I think I felt more for the women characters.
But, still, both are must-reads!
My sister also recommended this one to me, and agrees that she likes it even better than Kite Runner. Kite Runner is next on my list of to-read, and then I'll move on to this one. Thanks for the review...now I'm even more excited for it.
Grandma recommended it to me so I had to read it. I am so glad I did. I feel exactly the same as you. My perspective was definitely broadened upon completion of this well written emotionally exhausting novel. I haven't read Kite Runner, I haven't had it in my hands yet, but this one will be hard to top. I'll let you know the verdict after I read KR.
I'll be honest, it looks really boring.
I read A Thousand Splendid Suns a couple of months ago and loved it. I, too, felt educated with it. It's so current and so relevant and the different love themes throughout the whole thing are amazing. I appreciated Kite Runner for a new story set in a part of the world that I only know of as occupied by US and other troops. What I feel for ATSSs is much deeper. It gives me hope that someday Afganistan will be free and its women will be free from the oppression that has plagued that country far too long.
I just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", so I now need a new book! Thanks for the recommendation Scott! I loved it. It may just have to be "A Thousand Splendid Suns" after that review. Thanks for taking on the role of 'book advisor' in my life. I needed one. :)
Post a Comment