Blonde or Brunette?

Saturday, May 24, 2008

I need an honest vote. Which do you like better?


I am having a major hair decision issues because my hair is currently in the awkward stage like my hair in the picture below when I was preparing for my wedding hair. Not considered "long" and definitely not short. Just so completely blah blah blah. There is a goal of long flowing, wonderful hair in sight but it is like running a long race where the finish line just doesn't seem like it will ever come. (Thank heavens for ponytails in this stage.)

Next June I will be graduating from my masters program and I know this sounds completely irrational to plan your hair around a graduation but I always just pictured my hair long with big dark curls in my cap and gown. (I realize there are bigger fish to fry than the color and length of my hair but humor here for a bit.)

Friends, do I push through the awkward stage (for the next year) and get my dream of long, beautiful hair for a few hours in a graduation cap (and lots of pictures) or do I just bag it and go for a fun, short style?

Please weigh in below on 2 issues:
1) The color - blonde or brown
2) The length - go for the dream or give up now?

30 Comments:

Lani said...

Ok, first off...I think you looks adorable with shorter hair!! But it sounds like you have a solid style-plan for graduation, I say stick with the goal. And if you ever feel like throwin' in the towel, listen to "eye of the tiger" to get yourself back on track. Remember...

"So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive "

It worked for ROcky.

Shannon said...

For sure long. Keep to your dream no question.

Blonde or brunette is the hard one. Your more brunette to me, but I did love the Blonde. So...hummm. Go Blonde for the summer. Brunette for the winter.

Shannon said...

ps i'm sure your mac did those cool arrows and text on your awkward length pictures huh? i need a mac!

Kristin said...

Stick with your goal!!! You can always cut it after it's long if you want to but you can't just grow it unless your Brittany Spears :) Figure out ponytails, funky pull backs, bangs, hats, scarves, whatever but don't cut it. Once you get through the awkwardness you'll love it.

And for the color I love both of your colors for different reasons--but if blonde damages your hair, if you are going long I'd do the least damage so it's shiny, healthy long, not damaged long. So maybe a carmelly brown?

Sunshine Promises said...

Aim -

You'll always be cute no matter how you wear your hair. That being said, I am LOVIN' the blonde A-line bob . . . so cute, spunky, updated and you. Great for your face, skin tone and summer.

Brianne said...

Aimee,
Speaking from experience...just having made it through the awkward stage myself. If you are even thinking about cutting it, you are doomed. GIVE IN!! :) I think you look great both ways. After graduation what kind of therapist do you see yourself as? A long haired or a short haired therapist? If it's short the grow out phase is NOT worth it. :) One word Extenions!!

Kim said...

I'm with Kris on this one, stick to the goal if that's how you always pictured it. It might be hard during the summer months but you can do it. And I like the carmelly brown idea too. You look great with both colors!

Lindsay said...

I think if you grow it out then leave it dark brown. If you cut it then go blond. I think long hair looks so pretty dark, and I love short hair when it has highlights or is blond..just seems more fun!! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Aimee, Peter and I consulted on this one and we vote 1)blonde and 2)long. You simply cannot give up your cap and gown hair dream, so not haircuts! And Shannon said exactly what I was thinking... blonde for the summer and brunette for the winter! Plus, I feel like such an outsider in our circle o'friends so another long blondy would be nice :)

Bridget said...

I second Brianne's question. Do you see yourself as a long haired brunette as a therapist? If so, LIVE YOUR DREAM! If not, LIVE YOUR DREAM! I'm pretty sure you won't cut your hair right after graduation if you spent so long growing it out. PLUS, you'll look sexier with longer hair. Save it for Locks of Love when your baby starts spitting up in it and you want to go short for a while.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can go wrong!

Dan

janae said...

So I am going through the short-long decision myself. I am growing it until the end of summer and if I am still not feeling it I am cutting it. My personal favorite on you is the blond short cut in the picture above. I LOVE it!!! That is my opinion:)

Stacie said...

Aim, I say grow it! I don't think it looks that akward in the picture (even though I haven't really seen you this year). It always feels worse than it looks. I like the mid-length. I vote dark dark dark. I have always loved it on you. Or if it really drives you crazy, I'm with Bri.... extensions for graduation day :-)

Emily said...

Aimee-

As someone who has been intimate with your hair, keep up the faith and continue growing it out. If you go for length, you should keep it dark. Going blonde will damage you long locks. Plus pony tails are the bomb diggi.

me said...

Okay, my thought is keep it brown for sure. Grow it out and see how you are feeling about it when the time comes, you can always cut it short closer to your graduation. I liked my hair short under my cap, but the long looks cute, too. I think, like Brianne said, the most important question is what kind of therapist do you see yourself as. It will be your classmates last impression of you and they may be your referrals in the future... not to put too much on the decision.

melanie said...

1 - I loved the first picture...then I saw the second one...and now I love them both. So you're hott either way you decide to go.

2 - Long and brown for graduation. You don't want to look like a dude in your life-long pictures.

3 - So...keep trying on a cap (& possibly a grad gown) to keep your goal literally in your reflection.

4 - Spruce up the in-between phase with blond-ness.

Anonymous said...

Wow... so many people love to chat about your hair... all you need is one more opinion. But here you go. As a person who has never been able to surpass the awkward stage without giving in, I would add that I think you're darling either way. But I do love the short on you. And you know I love the dark hair so, there you go. Short and dark. Or you can just grow it until grad. then cut it. Whatev. I should practice what I preach, though because I am currently in the awkward stage. I'm trying to grow mine out, but this is coming from a person who has NEVER had hair past her shoulders. Hmm...
Heart - Brooke

jamie said...

i say long and blond

alisha said...

I love the short blonde pic--and I know we share the same opinion on short hair being more fun.

That said, I haven't ever seen you with long hair so I'm sure it will look great, too! And it's always good to change it up every once in a while.

You are more likely regret cutting it than giving it a shot.

Anonymous said...

I am going to say long and dark to satisfy your dream. But I was moved by the extension theory. Why not stay short for the ease factor then fake it for the photo shoot? What a great opinions everyone had. Fun to read all the buzz this has generated. I've always liked long and blonde, but Emily's expertise trumps all others. Don't damage your hair. All too soon you'll be gray like me and then you'll color it for the rest of your life. You will be beautiful no matter what you choose. The pesonality shines through any hairstyle in my opinion.

Love, Mom

Shannon said...

WOW. People sure have an opinion on what length and color your hair should be. Nice friends to care so much :) I like what Dan said though, cute.

Cicely said...

Who doesn't have this problem? I am having it right now.

I always want to grow it out long enough for locks of love, but as soon as it gets to the awkward stage- I give up and usually practically buzz my head.

Luckilly for you, you look good either way. Here is what you do: Shave your head and buy a blonde wig. Best of both worlds.

Good luck.

Unknown said...

Aim--I think you are so hot, you should just shave it bald! Think how easy your cap would slip on with a smooth surface!

You can pull off anything, but I still say, grow it long! I know I am incapable of that, but you have the patience-- you should do it!

Alisa Frei said...

I say definitely go for long! Do blond or carmel for the summer and brown for Fall/Winter/Graduation. I must say though, that brunettes have more fun so if you want MORE fun, stay brown!

Lizz said...

I didn't know you had a Mac. I'm Jealous. Are you keeping a tally on hair votes? I am curious as to what's winning out! I say dark and long, but agree with mom, personality is what really shines through and baby, you got it! Be sure to post a pic of you in your cap so we know your final decision.

Anonymous said...

I think blond for the summer,then lighten it up for the fall/winter... there is no permanent in the world of hair color. :)
as for the length, I think you definitely can rock the short hair (some of us wish it looked as cute on us), but you only live once - go for the dream, then have that liberating moment of chopping it all off after graduation!

Anonymous said...

oops, I meant darken it up for the fall/winter

Anonymous said...

why such limits on your choices? I say medium length hair (not short, not long) and dark brown (not black, not blonde)

hannah said...

Stick with the goal! Long for sure you will always get through the awkward stage. I definitely say long rather then extensions too- then there will be 2 graduations to celebrate - school and hair!
I say stay dark too it will look healthier with long hair. I know you can do it - think how fast your first year of school went.
Love ya!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP