No Therapy?
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I read this week's People mag's cover story. Did anyone else find it weird that Elizabeth Smart has NOT gotten any therapy for the ordeal of her youth? I know I am a bit bias and all but it was an extremely traumatic experience and one that just doesn't go away with a few visits on Oprah. A man came into your house and took you captive for 9 months, I am assuming many bad, unimaginable things happened in that time that would be difficult for anyone not to mention a young, innocent, naive, Mormon girl to process. Two weirdos dressed you up in crazy freaky religious clothes, told you they were going to kill your family and in the end when the cops asked if you were Elizabeth Smart you relied "If thou saith". They totally got in her head and manipulated her big time.
My heart breaks for her. I wish the stigma (especially for Mormons) around therapy would change. Some things can't be fixed with just prayer and scripture reading. I worry that in a few years this will all catch up to her at different developmental times in her life and she will be afraid to get the helps she needs. Who knows? I hope she ends up being a perfectly balanced adult.
There is my judgment for the week. Feel free to disagree with me.


13 Comments:
I agree with you. Ed & Lois Smart said in their book "Bringing Elizabeth Home" that she'd been getting therapy. Now Elizabeth says she didn't get any. Someone's in denial.
I have to admit that even with therapy, things are still hard! But why wouldn't you choose to get through it all in the best way possible, by doing everything in your power to be okay?! Just my opinion....
My sister and I had the same conversation about her not having therapy. I think she is going to have major issues down the road (specifically when she gets married) I think it is sad. I also think its her parents fault for not seeking therapy. I remember Ed talking about him and his wife letting Elizabeth talk about it to them when she is ready, and that they would help her heal. But I dont think they have the training neccesary to help with that much trauma. Hope all works out for her.
I totally agree with you. It blows my mind that she hasnt had therapy. Its really easy to pretend everythings ok on the outside when inside you are a complete mess. I hope this isnt the case with her.
Aim, I thought the same thing. There's an interesting study done on Trauma they found by studying Rat Pups. They measured their level of play prior to being exposed to a trauma, and level was high as expected. Then they placed 1 single cat hair into their play and their play dropped significantly and didn't return. Keep in mind none of the baby rats had been exposed to a cat prior. What they learned about this as it relates to humans and trauma is humans have to rework their trauma at different the different developmental stages. So sure, she may be "fine" right now--but I think when she gets married or enters into any kind of intimate relationship, or goes through the temple, basically transitioning into adulthood I think her stuff will surface big time...and I hope she will be encouraged to get professional help!
I agree with all these great comments. I am still so drawn to Elizabeth's whole story. Save that People Aim!
Agree. That's all, just 'agree.'
I don't know why, but the whole thing seems a little off to me. Not just the therapy issue, but the whole story. I bought the magazine, read the story, (lots of "Smart" stories)twice, and I still maintain there's a serious something being hidden. Who knows, maybe I'm the one in denial?!
Aimee, The fact that she didn't get therapy was the very first thing I thought about when I read the article. Maybe because it is people she toned down the story? I don't think we will ever get the FULL story. The weird part is that her parents say in the article that they themselves don't have the full story....6 years later? WHAT!! How could you not get therapy?
Aimee - I so agree with you on this. Especially the stigma of therapy. Here in Utah it is remarkable to me the number of children we have and the number of issues with them we are unwilling to face. I could write an essay, but I won't. Coming back to this "Eden" i grew up in has been mind blowing for me on so many levels. My perspective has grown and I see things I didn't as a child. Don't get me wrong, there is so much I love about this state - but ...
Aimee- I think its wierd too. I was just reading it today. I hope all is well with you. I have been really busy lately so I havent even had a chance to call or even look at your blog.
love, am
I don't disagree with you.
I agree with Mark Jensen.
Post a Comment