Reality vs. The Fantasy
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Tonight we celebrated Scott's birthday with a dinner out to ourselves on a beautiful summer night in Kirkland. I got to thinking about how much I love his company. Just him and me. I enjoy it. I just LIKE him, ya know. He is easy to be around, we have good conversations, and the best part is that it is real.
Then I started thinking that it was about 3 years ago that we were "falling in love". It was a great summer in Salt Lake City and falling for Scott came really easy and natural for me (like I said, he is easy to love). I am often reflective about what I was doing ____ years ago or "this time last year" or your last birthday or last New Year's etc. So in celebrating Scott's birthday I was reminded of this time when we were semi-dating and I was contemplating what level of present to get him at that stage in our relationship. Nothing was official and we were supposed to just be making out but then I was starting to actually like him (surprise, surprise). He ended getting a tie from the Nordstrom's sale. That was safe, right?
So tonight after a lovely evening together we came home and watched the last 15 minutes of one of the best movies in the world with my dad. The clip below really hit me this time.
Let me explain.
A few weeks before we got married (and pre-engagement truthfully) Scott got really worried about the ending chapter of his single life. No more flirting. No more first dates or first kisses or first cuddles. No more nervous feelings wondering if the other person likes you. All that stuff that makes the beginning of the relationship so magical. Was I really "the one" to give up all that for?
I think everyone feels a little sadness about the ending of this chapter but some experience a bigger grief with it. I held my breath and just hoped that my charm and good looks would be enough and that maybe he would end up feeling like Rob Gordon did in this clip, that the reality of our love, though real and had its problems, would end but being better than the fantasy.
I can tell you that being able to marry Scott was one of the best things that ever happened to me and by the time our wedding approached I had no worries about his worries. I knew that he knew that I was the one to share a life, become a "we", and grow old with.
So I am happy to say that 3 years later I am still smitten with the kid that I was only supposed to make out with, and love him so much more than I did during the fun, new, first stages of love (although those are scared in their own rite).
Scotty, Happy 28th Birthday. You are better than any fantasy relationship and I never get tired of you. I love you tons and tons and feel so lucky I got you. Thanks for keeping it real.


9 Comments:
if only everyone loved and adored their spouse as much as we do, this world would be a better place!! What a great post Aimes!! You can hear ir in your words how much you love Scott. Please wish him a happy birthday for us.
What an amazing and beautiful tribute to your husband! I'm so happy that you have such an amazing marriage, even though we've never met. :) That's what I'm holding out for, the true love marriage!
Amen. I love Troy much more deeply and intensely now than ever before. We are lucky and they are lucky.
In honor of your clip and what really is the best movie ever, I give you the top 5 reasons you are one of my favorite bloggers.
5. You are super funny. So, funny in fact that I often find myself laughing out loud mid-read of one of your posts.
4. You have a unique perspective on life that I appreciate.
3. You are refreshingly honest.
2. You get right down to what's important in life, and then you share it.
1. You keep it real.
Thanks for your blogs, and posts, and thoughtful comments and e-mails. Scott is one lucky guy. And marriage rocks.
Isn't it the truth.
I love you Scott! Happy Birthday. Great Post!
Aimee- Isn't it great to have such a wonderful husband! I feel so bad for all those women who don't have what we share with our husbands. I loved that post!
I totally agree! great tribute; beautiful story... you are such a delight Aimee.
And thanks for the well wishes about the new little peanut.. I love seeing you in cyberspace even if we never see each other in the "live" version anymore> :)
Happy birthday Scott! I have never seen the movie...does she say yes??? Or does it just end with "Thank You"?
Post a Comment