The Public vs. Private Debate

Monday, August 18, 2008

This weekend I had the good fortune of being in the company of some of my favorite bloggers. A bunch of bloggers in one room? You can imagine the conversations that ensued. (Be ready for a long post I have lots of thoughts and its 4 am)...

Isn't it funny when you get in a room with people who you are great virtual friends with but do not see all that often or may not have a long history of friendship together? Honestly, I think we can all admit that there is kind of a creepiness to the whole blog world where you feel a sense of intimacy with someone because you are a regular reader of their blog but 1) you might have never met them in your whole life 2) you were just sort of friends before blogging exploded or 3) you are acquaintances and they don't even know you look at their blog. Creepy and weird, really, but quite voyeuristically (I know it is not a word) delightful. Who doesn't like to spy, honestly?

That being said, as a blogger there is also a vulnerability that is put out there. My heart is out in cyber land for all to read. I know strangers, ex-boyfriends and friends-of-friends are probably reading my thoughts and following my life in the privacy of their own home computers (I know, get over myself, right?!). These people are possibly judging me, making fun of me, laughing at me with their friends, or maybe liking me. Who knows? But that is what I risk in having this gig.

Well to my point, we, my blogger friends and company that I saw this weekend, discussed these sort of things which led us to the private vs. public debate. It is an issues that all good mothers and private people struggle with regarding their blog. Do you go private to protect or keep it public to connect with friends? I know we have all heard the story (or shall we say "urban legend" until I get a real source) about the girl who had the blog and went to the park with her kids and a creepy stalker man knew a bit too much about her life. This "urban legend" inflicted fear and sleepless nights in many mothers around the world. Blogs were made private, stalkers were cut-off, histories deleted with a click of a button, and doors were closed to any potential old friends innocently inquiring about your life.

Now, I have had multiple people tell me this "urban legend" and NOT ONE person has been able to lead me to the source. No one knows this girl. It is always "my friend's friend" or "my cousin's sister-in-laws friend". My analytical mind thinks, Hmmmm..... Is this story really true? Does anyone know this girl? I am honestly asking. If you do please let me know so I can hear the story from her. It would make my week. I just need to know if it is true or not.

Frankly, I think the blog world is just too young in its development to know if blogs are dangerous to its people. Maybe the chances of having something freaky happen to you or your family because you have a blog is just as likely and not having a blog? Maybe not? It will be interesting to see what unfolds as blogs enter the toddler phase and we can see more of the effect it has on the world and safety issues.

Here is what I think though. I think it is important to blog smart just like it is important to be smart in that crazy world out there. Don't put details about where you live and when you are going on vacation if your house is going to be empty (tip from Naptime). Someone might come and steal things out of your house because you told everyone you were out of town. Shannon and I also think that Google needs to step it up and put an option to request an invitation to a private blog like how you add friends on Facebook (Are you reading this Google think tankers? This is brilliant, really!). I think if enough people put in this request we might see this happen.

I do not judge people who decide to go private - I can understand their reasoning totally and completely and respect their move. It just means I don't read their blog as much because there is no RSS feed and that sort of bums me out. Its like I forget they are there, ya know. Too much effort. And when I find old friends with private blogs I have no way of accessing it to make a comment and reconnecting. So sad.

So that is what I think about that. Something drastic could happen and my mind could change tomorrow. But for now I am sticking to staying public, sharing the love, and building friendships for all bloggers and non-bloggers (who get mad at you when you slack on blogging - Marni Timmerman) alike. Because frankly, I have met more wonderful people and reconnected with past friends blogging than freaky men in parks.

11 Comments:

naptime nostalgia said...

I am so happy you did a post about this. That was an awesome conversation to be a part of. And frankly, I was shocked at all the strong opinions coming from the non-bloggers. I appreciate all your points, but especially the idea about the option to request access to a private blog. That would be so nice. Get on that google!

I have so many opinions on the topic myself, being a public blogger and a private blogger as well. Some think it a bit much, but I sleep better at night knowing my family blog is private. There I can post details, and pictures. My Naptime blog though I keep alot more general and ridiculous. And maybe it is a bit excessive to have two blogs, but I feel like that way I can still connect with all my cyber BFF I've met through blogging and the people who stalk, as well as friends and family.

Sorry for the novel. Love the way you think. Thanks for the discussion. Hope you enjoyed my act of love.

naptime nostalgia said...

Okay, now that I re-read my comment, that last sentence sounded really bad. So I better clarify for all your readers. During our conversation Aimee stated that commenting on blogs is not only fun and necessary, but an act of love. And I couldn't agree more.

So there you go. Two acts of love.

janae said...

Great posts! I love the private verses public thoughts. I am so glad you took those pics of Bri. Thanks for your help last night. I can't believe you were up at 4am blogging

jamie said...

I go back and forth on this subject. being that i do post pics of my daughter i have often considered going private, but then i think of how annoyed when i discover a blog i would love to enjoy but cant because its private.
also that story about the girl at the park i think is an urban legend, but i do know for a fact (because there was a few storys about it on ksl.com) that some guy who was blogging about his family submitted complaints to the police department because some random person was online stalking him through his blog, threatening to hurt his wife and kids etc...but the wierd thing is that even after this guy set his profile to private this person was somehow still able to leave comments...but the police couldnt do anything because there was no way to track who this person was...
anyways, after that long novel of a story my whole point is, like you, i am still undecided.

Lisa H. said...

I agree with you, Aimee. If you make your blog private, I will rarely read it. It's not because I'm holding a grudge, it's just because I get the feed on my igoogle page and I don't think to check each blog one by one.

I also tried to find that story on snopes.com, my favorite site about urban legends. No luck.

Lacey Jane said...

Ah... wish I could've been apart of this conversation! My blogging has definitely changed- I don't blog about personal things as much as I used to, because I worry about who's reading. But, still... I wish I could!

Great insight, as usual!

Glad you shared.

Shannon said...

okay, i think your going to get a lot of comments on this one.
I REALLY want the option to add a friend. I just don't know how to contact google. so if anyone does know how, please get the word out.
aimee i know how you feel about being public and i have similar feelings.
but even as you write it you say do you go "private and protect or keep it public to connect with friends" so their is that added pressure/guilt because if you are a "good mom" you'll protect your family to potentially expose them vs connecting with friends/family. when really who knows, like you said, if the danger is there or not?
dave and i just had this conversation. he tried to google my info and didn't get much.
and like one comment the creepy guy got into the private blog too? they might get you with or without a blog. but is the blog added amo? maybe that's why the non-bloggers had strong opinions.
for now i stay public, who knows what the future holds? Maybe Google adding the wonderful "add me as a friend feature"
the end

Shannon said...

whoops used the "there their they're wrong" blogging also adds the editing /grammar issue

Marni Timmerman said...

Aim thanks for the shout out. I miss you in SLC so much. Just remember I am your biggest blogger fan! xoxo

EmailRevealer.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allison said...

I agree about google needing to make it easier to contact someone for permission to read a private blog, but I found a loophole. If and when I decide to go private here's what I'll do... on my "about me" page I'll just post my email address (it can even be a blog only email) along with a little note letting potential readers know to email me asking permission. I agree that it is some serious hoops to jump through, but until google gets word it works!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP