A Very Touching Book
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
I was reminded today because of a conversation with a new friends how much I love this book for children when discussing issues of bodies and appropriate touching. I feel very passionately that sex needs to be an topic openly discussed with my children and family so they feel safe to ask questions, clarify, and tell me when something is not right. It will NOT be a taboo topic at the Heffernan house just like it wasn't taboo to talk about it in my home growing up.
I read this book to my niece last month and at first she wasn't quite sure what to think of the book that her aunt was reading but by the end I think she understood what my message was all about. This book talks about girl and boys body parts, the difference between good and bad touching, and most importantly secret touching. It is a great book to talk with your kids about sexual abuse in a way that won't sexualize them too early and that will help them understand that they can tell you when they've been asked to keep secrets about touching. Plus, the illustrations are quite delightful.
It comes highly recommended by my professor that teaches our sexuality class too and has dealt with many sexually abused clients.
Take a sneak peek. You can get it as cheap as $6 buckaroos here.
Here's to lowering the cases of sexual abuse through education!!


5 Comments:
thanks for telling me about this book, aimee. i hope i remember it when i have kids. remind me, okay?
how old do you think a kid should be? befor you can read it to them
i always admired the open door policy in your home growing up and am doing everything I can to invite the same in my home now. It would be interesting to see how many people are actually effected (affected) by sexual abuse. It is such a hushed topic that needs to be cracked wide open. Kudos to the author/illustrator and those who welcome "open-ness" in their homes. I guess its time to get this. AJ (6) says he hates showering with ashlyn(4) (they just shower in swimsuits FYI) because she always touches his bum. I'm surprised it's not the other way around, she has the cutest little ghetto bootie! Anyway... Thanks aimee.
we read this to Owen every night. Too early???
I just got this book...I think I had it in my Amazon cart since you posted this in August...I can't remember when it went in but I finally bought it. Thanks!
Post a Comment