Guest Rambler: Managing Expectations
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Guest Rambler: An update from the new mom of twins and best friend ever, Brianne.
Managing Expectations
5:36 a.m.
I just got done handwashing 8 tiny little bottles and refilling them. That's a 150 bottles a week. I haven't slept for more than 3 hours at one time in 4 weeks. Kate spit up on me again. I am still wearing the same shirt she spit up on me yesterday. My left arm just might fall off from holding Zack for 2 hours straight. I haven't slept in the same bed with my husband in over a month. And I walked outside yesterday and realized it has been 3 days since the last time. Yet, I have never been happier. Something I NEVER expected.
Is it a question of perspective and managing expectations?
Although I don't get to sleep in the same bed with Wade anymore I do get to sleep on his side of the bed, something I have been wanting to do for years! A number of people have commented on how little I seem to be missing my old life. I wonder if this is because everyone kept telling me how hard two babies would be. Maybe it's because I kept telling myself how hard two babies would be. I was six weeks pregnant when I found out I would be having twins. I cried. I cried more. I didn't sleep for a week. And I let go. Very few people could really know how hard it was going to be. Why listen.
Do we let other people manage our expectations?
When a new movie comes out and your next door neighbor has already seen it 3 times in the theater you think... it must be really good. You go. You liked it but can't imagine why someone would pay to see it 2 more times. If you loved it maybe you thought you wouldn't.
I am relieved that having twins is easier than everyone told me it would be. I am grateful it is easier than I EXPECTED.
Are expectations a good thing?
For the first time in my life am I able to hold on so tight to the moment. I am present. I can't begin to see tomorrow. or the next day. I am too tired. I am happy. I just wrote a post in 15 minutes without any distractions.
I currently live in a space of no expectations.
Thank you Kate and Zack.
the end.


9 Comments:
Lovely post, Brianne. I am so happy for you, and am glad that you are loving your new life. I too am loving mine.
Beautiful. Just Beautiful.
Give Kate and Zack and big kiss from Shanny!
Of course you are HAPPY!
I love it! I'm so glad that you've got your expectations in check...now if I could only get a handle on mine...
I am so truly happy for you!
This was such a sweet post!!! So glad Brianne was able to share her insight. I really appreciated it!
Hey Bri & Aimee,
Aimee--way to go with having Bri guest post. What an awesome post. I remember my expectations were the first thing that went out the widow when I had my first too. I'm convinced the secret to a happy life is lowering our expectations. Seriously.
Bri-- so glad to hear all is going mostly well for you. That you are happy. For some reason I've had you on my mind lately. Even bought you a box of diapers at Costco, but when I went to take them over on Sunday to Wisans no one was home. I will try again Sunday. So fun to hear from you. You need your own blog. Seriously. Think about it.
k- I think I'm finally done. Sorry about the novel.
Wow Brianne, I am so impressed with you! :) You are in a really good place, at the beginning of your long "twin road"....I don't think that I got to that place until they were about 12 months old. :) What an inspiration you are!! And I agree with you more then you know...
Hey everyone, You are so nice!! I don't know how I ever got so lucky to be surrounded by so many GREAT INSPIRATIONAL FUN SMART BEAUTIFUL women. Thanks for loving me!! Better yet, Thanks for loving me the way I AM.
Brianne,
What a beautiful post!! I was really moved. Let me know when you are having visitors because I would love to come see you and the babies.
I am glad you are loving it - there really is nothing quite like it.
It is amazing how you get use to living without sleep! Those little ones are so lucky to have you as a mum!
Post a Comment