Favorite Reads of '08
Saturday, December 20, 2008
You might remember my faves of 2007. Well, it's that time again.
I admit it. This has been a weak year for me and personal reading. I have read my fair share of text books on couples therapy, Virginia Satir, gender issues, marriage, play therapy, parenting, abuse and addiction but have had a limited schedule to make time for my first true love - personal reading. That being said, I have still managed to sneak in a few winners and honorable mentions. So without further adieu...
• • •
Number Three: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Kate DiCamillo
I know this is a children's book but I was smitten with its lovely 100 something pages. My sister insisted I read it and I let it sit for weeks not knowing the treasure that lay between its pages. (I really should listen to her more often.) I think the reason why this book touched me so much is the sensitive heart I have this year for people in the midst of tragedy. I have heard the saddest, personal, real-life heart hurting stories more in the last 365 days than in all of my years combined. This story has themes that remind us that no matter what comes our way we need to open our hearts, let ourselves love and be loved. Beautiful, no? Check it out if you haven't read it yet. It is a great one to read by yourself or with a child that you think is old enough to get it.
Number Two:To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Yeah, I'm sure you are thinking, "Aimee, everyone read that in 5th grade." Well, not me. I don't know how this happened. I blame my parents. But now I know why it is a classic. Atticus is everything I want to be in a parent and friend. I mentioned this in July so I won't repeat myself. I also want a Scout in my womb. She is everything I want in a curious, wise child. Loved it and plan on watching the movie over the break. I'm sure it won't be nearly as wonderful as my imagination Harper Lee created, but fun all the same.
Drum roll please.....
Number One:A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
I read this book back in March and after all these months my heart still breaks when I think about this emotional story of friendship, loss and love. When people talk books with me I find myself checking in to see if this one has made it to their nightstand. It is a tragic but a beautiful story and extremely well written. I liked it better than The Kite Runner. It kept me up into the wee hours of the night crying, there is still residue of the narrative in my heart, and it makes me more compassionate for the people of Afghanistan. In fact, I think it made me a better human so that is why it is my #1.
• • •
Honorable Mention #1:The Life of Pi, Yann Martel
Again, a 5 year old book that I have been planning to read for quite a few years now. This book caught me by surprise. I really liked it but mostly enjoyed the convo with Lisa, my sister, once I finished. What fun is a book without having a conversation about it? Deep, philosophical topics regarding self-preservation, religion, and companionship are generated from this story. I know there are very mixed feelings about this book, but I was chewing on it for weeks after and had no regrets spending my precious time reading it.
Honorable Mention #2:A Very Touching Book...for Little People and for Big People, Jan Hindman
I know I already did a post on this book but again, everyone should buy it and read it regularly to their children and not be shy about talking about bodies, different kinds of touching and telling, telling, telling when things are not safe. Kids need to know they can talk with their parents - both of their parents - about these things. So just one more time to plug this book! I am shameless. Buy it for cheap here.
• • •
Book I Read Too Many Times This Year: Satir Model: Family Therapy and Beyond, my theory book which helped me to write the loooooooongest, most grueling paper of my schooling career. The title just makes you drool, doesn't it?
Currently Reading: The Book Thief. I am enjoying it very much and will probably make Honorable Mention status.
I realize my favorite books of the year are quite complicated, sad, and emotional with themes of love, friendship and triumph. It seems appropriate for my experiences and mood this year. Funny how our lives can mirror the fiction we end up reading. Ahh, books; you are so lovely.
Currently Reading: The Book Thief. I am enjoying it very much and will probably make Honorable Mention status.
I realize my favorite books of the year are quite complicated, sad, and emotional with themes of love, friendship and triumph. It seems appropriate for my experiences and mood this year. Funny how our lives can mirror the fiction we end up reading. Ahh, books; you are so lovely.
Hello 2009 books.
よろしくお願いします
Please be kind to me.


8 Comments:
Loved the Book Thief! Another book you may enjoy, heart wrenching as well, is Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.
Yes. love Edward...and Yes you should listen to me more often :)
1,000 Splendid Suns would be up there for me, too. I think I would like to do a post of top three books I hated. Eat Pray Love would be #1.
How did you put that Japanese on your blog? I loved it! I laughed when I read it, because I haven't thought of that word in so long. I tried to explain the meaning to Dave and couldn't. I love reading about the books you like, I'll have to read some of them soon. :) Merry Christmas
What a great idea for a year end list! I too loved "A Thousand Splendid Suns." I felt like I could relate more to this book than "The Kite Runner," but both were fascinating!
Have you read The Hiding Place? I just finished it. Hmm, not sure what I think of it yet. I want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns after I'm done with Body Of Lies. Can I borrow your copy?
Of course you can borrow it. Shan has my copy so steal if from her.
Loved, loved Thousand Splendid Suns, could not put it down and i agree, loved it more than kite runner. Amazing how strong the human spirit can be and the amazing bond between these women, i'm getting emotional just thinking about the book!!! Just about to read the time travellers wife....
Post a Comment