Billboard Voodoo

Tuesday, March 17, 2009


So we're in Utah this week having a lovely time in the valley BUT every time I am away from Utah for an extended amount of time and then come back, I always forget how quickly I am distracted while driving with all the billboards they have along the freeway. I am a sucker for visual stimulus. Particularly while driving south on I-15, I start reading billboard after billboard after billboard and suddenly find myself hypnotized by the in-your-face marketing. When I finally come to, I wonder how many minutes or miles have passed since they have had control over my car. The billboard gods, that is. They take control, you know.

Now I realize that billboards make for great conversation in the car, are probably good for business, and are often an easy target for a good laugh - especially in Utah County - but the bottom line is I think that billboards make a freeway/state look cheap and desperate. They probably account for numerous car accidents a year also. No good.

Conclusion: There are many reasons I love the State of Utah. Billboards are not on that list.

Come visit Seattle. The freeways are lovely there.

3 Comments:

Ryan said...

I'm totally with you - I hate billboards. They destroy the visual landscape and fill my head with stupid things I don't want it filled with. I hope you don't get caught doing this: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/ogilvy-on-billboards.php

MAB said...

You are totally right! The billboards in Utah are obnoxious! I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't even noticed how serene and billboard-free our freeways are here until now. Next time I drive on one I will be more appreciative- thanks! :)

melanie said...

I think billboards help pass time. Plus, I do happen to work in advertising and I'm reassured to know the ads are doing the job! Suckers! JK.

I find myself seeing a billboard that reminds me of something else, and that thought turns into another thought and pretty soon I'm on some awesome tangent that reminds me how cool the brain is. And, all because of a billboard.

Side note about the Utah billboards...they have Mormon written all over them, which is good to target the audience but outsiders perspective is like WHOA.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP